GT550 Sump plug torque setting

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
DayvW55

GT550 Sump plug torque setting

Post by DayvW55 »

Its been ages since I have been on here! I still have my GT550 that I rebuilt back in 2014 and still running beautifully. OK not used a whole lot - especially over the last year - but (touch wood) not had any problems (aside from the odd oil ooze), starts at the touch of the button, and turns heads when out and about (now moved to the Hereford/Worcester border and so Wales is an easy throw - and Id be lying if I said moving to this location was not influenced by some fabulous roads for biking on our doorstep!).

Anyway - to my question. Just giving it a good service and changing the gearbox oil and have decided to replace the sump plug as have spotted what appears to be an old manked washer jammed on there that I never noticed before (and which maybe the source of an oil ooze!). Stumbled on a plug on ebay (a chap/company called Astrax - that name rings a bell from this forum?) which arrived today .. and its a thing of beauty! But can I remember the torque to tighten it to .. or find a reference to it anywhere .. can I heck. So wondered if someone could suggest what I should tighten it to to be safe?

Oh - one other thing (3 other things) that needed replacing where the bottom carb boots - the top ones were fine, but the lower ones have rotted to pieces! Still, gave me a chance to clean the carbs and reset the throttle heights which had wandered a little. Still .. all in all ... this bike has been superb .. which amazed me as my first restro!

Anyway - any torque setting suggestions greatly appreciated (I always fear over tightening!)

Thanks,
Dave.
Alan H

Re: GT550 Sump plug torque setting

Post by Alan H »

DayvW55 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:11 pm Anyway - any torque setting suggestions greatly appreciated (I always fear over tightening!)

Thanks,
Dave.
Finger tight + half a flat.
Remember if it's from Astrax, it's most likely stainless so will need a smear of copper grease on the threads so it doesn't seize.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
DayvW55

Post by DayvW55 »

Perfect. And yes it is stainless, well reminded! Many thanks Alan.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

If it is an aftermarket one not from Astrax make sure it is the correct length as this is critical
http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/gt/manuals/gt ... 550-47.htm
See 7-9-2 :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
DayvW55

Post by DayvW55 »

Ah .. yes indeed .. have checked it is indeed the correct length .. but thanks for pointing that out!

This is where I got it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GT750 ... %7Ciid%3A1