headlight

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Gary66

headlight

Post by Gary66 »

Hi guys just wondering if anyone can help with this please
I recently bought a headlamp listed for a GT380 but when it arrived it is not the same as my old one. It is deeper back to front and the rim is approx 40mm deep as apposed to mine of maybe 20-25mm, it may well fit but it is very tight looking at it and would leave virtually no room in the shell for any cooling of the wires. I have contacted the seller and he says " the German vehicles have a different headlight than the English one Unfortunately, we didn't think about that when you bought the headlight. Really??
Question is is he telling me a porky here, i cant imagine the headlights being different but i could be wrong? So, i can send it back and hope he pays the post , mmmm, not sure he will, or i can try and get my money back selling it on. The only problem i have is what does it fit?

Any help appreciated, it is a KOITO and has 519 stamped on the rim and 110-32800 also, the lamp itself has 5H8 997-15107 along with 51m, 3, and 51T. I have tried identifying it myself but so far drawn a blank

Could it be it fits the 550/750 maybe?

Thanks in advance anyone who can help
Alan H

Re: headlight

Post by Alan H »

The 550/750 headlamp units are a 'full' 7" size and afaik, the 380 ones were a shade smaller. Regarding the wiring cooling, it shouldn't get warm at all if correctly sized, and if it does, there's something wrong or wrong spec (higher wattage bulb for instance).
I've just fitted a GS750 headlamp unit to the 550J I restored, and this is a bit deeper than the original, which made it a pig to fit, but re-plaiting the wiring inside the headlamp worked eventually!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Gary66

Re: headlight

Post by Gary66 »

Thanks Alan for the reply, i think it would possibly squeeze in the headlamp shell and like you say with the correct bulbs etc all should be ok. I think my bigger issue here is how it will look now i have got use to the smaller depth rim ie will it look wrong? Just out of curiosity though did the german bikes get a different lamp or is he bulling me? I can send it back but being tight i dont want to pay the post as he clearly didnt think about it coming to England and should have cancelled the order and explained why saving any hassle