gt 550 runs then stops

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
sonny

gt 550 runs then stops

Post by sonny »

back to normal after lockdown?
yes, you could say that, woke up on Monday anticipating playing bowls at 1.30 pm and it was bucketing down - hailstones also - but it did clear up.

and on to the bike, gt 550 got it going nicely all working well and then --------- nothing, it just stopped and would not start again, turned over but it was as if no spark, electrics seem to be playing up also,
tried the bike again and away she goes but not very well, loss of power, seems like fuel prob but then remedies itself if I leave it to next day it will fire up first time and off we go - until same as
coincidence or not but on one occasion it cut out when lights were switched on

It had an electrical problem 'fixed' last year an earthing problem possibly the result of having frame painted and earth leads contaminated
I was hoping to go on a run this w/e but cannot fathom the problem
anybody out there who can advise me I would be most grateful
thanks, Sonny.
canaletto5

Re: gt 550 runs then stops

Post by canaletto5 »

Sounds as though the battery might be shot. Kev
barney01

Post by barney01 »

When you start the bike do you get on and ride off straight away and choke off asap? These bikes dont like to idle when cold and if the choke is on it will stall and be hard to start. Two strokes need heavy enrichment to start but when running the opposite. Some bikes from those times had a sprung lever so you had to hold it open.
How old is the petrol? It can go off in months and cause issues.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
sonny

Post by sonny »

bike starts easily minimum choke, just letting it tick over it will cut out after a few minutes after a couple of high revs but no use of the choke, petrol is fine
once 'ok' tried to have a ride but power dies and won't start
probably start first time this morning
not able to check as I am away for a couple of days
barney01

Post by barney01 »

My guess is that the bike is overfuelling. If it only needs a light choke then the mixture must be very rich to start with. This will cause the engine to flood and wet the spark causing it to stall and unable to restart immediately.
Possible causes are firstly and most commonly a choke piston stuck open. Secondly airscrews turned in too much. Thirdly float levels too high. Fourthly blocked or restricted air filter.
One last possibilty. The petcock diaphragm is sticking or slow to open so the carbs run out of fuel.
Just my suggestions good luck :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
sonny

Post by sonny »

many thanks, I will look into this