GT550 2T Oil Feed Pipe Leak

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
asco58

GT550 2T Oil Feed Pipe Leak

Post by asco58 »

Hi Everyone,

After leaving my GT550 sitting for a week or two I've noticed that there's a two small leaks of two stroke oil coming from the oil line going to the centre crank bearings.

Leak No. 1: There's a small air bubble in the plastic pipe a few centimetres from the union connector side and a drip of oil underneath that so it looks like there may be a split there. From reading a couple of other threads on the forum, seems like people are successfully fixing split pipes with heat shrink or maybe glue but let me know if there's a better method.

Leak No. 2: There is oil leaking slowly from the point where the plastic pipe meets the brass union connector. There's oil slowly emerging from the underneath of this joint. I'm not quite sure how to approach this one as I'm not sure how the union connectors/check valves come off or if the oil pipe is split at the end where it widens to accommodate the union connectors.

If anyone has any advice or information on this it would be much appreciated. Thanks. Ash

Oil leak.jpg
asco58

Re: GT550 Oil Pipe End Connector Leak

Post by asco58 »

After looking more closely at the pipe, it would appear that leak No. 1 doesn't actually exist and the oil pipes are all fine. It was actually the oil dripping from leak No.2 down the pipe. The leak seems to be very very slow and if I take the bike for a ride or run the engine for a bit more regularly, the oil does not weep but it still looks a bit oily around the end of the nylon pipe near the steel clamp. The oil seems to be pumped faster than it can leak so I don't think it's a problem for now.

I think what has happened is the larger nylon pipe which fits onto the check valve has probably become hard due to age and perhaps is not sealing so well anymore but apart from that theory I can't see any really obvious points for oil to weep from. I think it's time to start thinking about repairs or replacements should the problem become serious as I may end up making the problem worse if I try to change one of the check valves at some point. For now, I'll leave it alone.