550 starter & Model

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
1250Bandit

550 starter & Model

Post by 1250Bandit »

Just got my 550 out of hibernation and the starter is making a noise but not engaging / spinning the engine, I've not got a lot of experience with these starters so looking for some help.

I've also been looking at the frame and engine numbers to see exactly what model it is, Frame starts with a 5 & engine with a 6 which seem to be an A model, I know its from Canada so the L engine was used but I cant find any info for a 550 with a frame number starting with 5.
Any info would much appreciated
Cheers
Russ
Alan H

Re: 550 starter & Model

Post by Alan H »

Proof that four strokes are over complicated
nickst4

Re: 550 starter & Model

Post by nickst4 »

Bit of a slow reply I'm afraid, but I don't look in very often. Sounds like the sprag ring has given up on yours. If you don't know, this is a bearing that will transmit starter-motor power one way and freewheel in the other direction. All electric-start engines have something like this, and the ones for the GTs are hard to find. I got a couple from Frank in Germany, but even after fitting one and getting the motor to spin on the button, it wouldn't start because the crank seals were shot. That led to a complete engine rebuild! Once sorted, the motor on my GT550 starts the instant I hit the button, which is a great relief and should minimise wear on the new sprag too.

Nick