Brake pads

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
nickst4

Brake pads

Post by nickst4 »

I have a double-disc setup on my 550 courtesy of some former owner, and a new (very expensive!) pukka 750 master cylinder, plus braided lines. The calipers are fully refurbished, and everything looks good, but braking is still very poor. The current pads are some generic ones bought a few years ago and I appreciate that I can't expect modern levels of braking, but it's dire at the moment. Has anyone found pads that are good, apart from the EBC FA55, which are hard to find and very pricey?

Thanks,

Nick
nickst4

Re: Brake pads

Post by nickst4 »

For anyone interested in changing their pads, EBC UK have just informed me that they have now made another batch of these pads. Reading between the lines, the material is the same as before when they were called FA 55, but they now boast an uprated attachment to the backplates and are called FA 055. They are still approx £20 a pair, but that's a lot less than I paid to import some from the US, with tax and shipping included.

Just to make you smile, when I took the previous pads out of my calipers to put the US-sourced EBC ones in, the old ones put in 400 miles ago also had EBC FA 55 stamped clearly on them! :roll: I quite thought I'd fitted some generic rubbish, the braking was so poor. I've since scuffed the discs and braking has improved somewhat, and will hopefully get better with more miles.

Nick