Front stoplight switch

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
nickst4

Front stoplight switch

Post by nickst4 »

There's a little sliding contact in the lever mechanism that works over a pair of contacts. I've probably been clumsy when working on the master cylinder and lever, and the plastic extension of this slider which goes in a slot in the lever has become crushed, rendering it useless, as in permanently on. Has anyone been around this problem and solved it, maybe with an alternative switch? Perhaps someone has a spare slider? I could perhaps try to carve one from something insulating.

Any help appreciated!

Nick
rodent

Re: Front stoplight switch

Post by rodent »

canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

rodent

Post by rodent »

I seen that, pattern part maybe?
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Thanks for your help, chaps! I was going to bite the bullet and get the suzuki one just for the little slider, but the pattern one looks too good a bargain to pass up.

You live and learn, and then forget again; I suspect that the slider jamming in the lever mechanism was why the front brakes seemed so poor... :oops:

Nick
malky

Post by malky »

nickst4 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:46 am Thanks for your help, chaps! I was going to bite the bullet and get the suzuki one just for the little slider, but the pattern one looks too good a bargain to pass up.

You live and learn, and then forget again; I suspect that the slider jamming in the lever mechanism was why the front brakes seemed so poor... :oops:

Nick
[/quote
That little plastic part tends to decapitate itself when you are bleeding the brakes as the lever travels too far - I tend to drop the switch out when I bleed them
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

rodent wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:57 pm I seen that, pattern part maybe?
Yep, works just fine
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

malky wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:51 am That little plastic part tends to decapitate itself when you are bleeding the brakes as the lever travels too far - I tend to drop the switch out when I bleed them
Thanks for explaining that. I never gave it any thought when I was bleeding the brakes.

Nick
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

A follow-up: the cheap pattern part is entirely satisfactory, and a tiny fraction of Suzuki's price. Where no-one else makes items, I'll pay full-price for the OEM classic spares, but not while there are cheaper options. In the event, I only needed the sliding contact, for which £8 is quite enough to pay!

Just a tip. My brake lever doesn't travel very far, and not far enough for the stoplight switch to activate reliably. The switch block can be moved of course, but I needed to file the threads from the shanks of the screws to get that little bit more movement. Filing the slots in the contact plate was the obvious solution, but there isn't much meat to play with, so slimmer screws is the way to go!

Now to find out why all the oil has drained from my gearbox. There's always something...

Nick