Clutch

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Dav57

Clutch

Post by Dav57 »

Hi Guys
Finally finished reassembling my GT550B and have taken it easy on it due to rebore and new pistons and making most of the weather when i can and tonight just before i got home after a short ride it made a rattling noise from the clutch casing side of the bike,i stopped the engine then found the casing had cracked in a few places. I drained the oil and removed the casing and found one of the clutch spring bolts had sheared off which had cracked the casing so i now have to source another casing and clutch basket. As its a Borg Warner clutch (which does slip when the engine is cold) does anyone know if the clutch baskets different from earlier models and only the starter part that's different? and has anyone got a clutch basket or Clutch casing that they are willing to sell?
Dave
Scotch750

Re: Clutch

Post by Scotch750 »

Dav57 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:15 pm Hi Guys
Finally finished reassembling my GT550B and have taken it easy on it due to rebore and new pistons and making most of the weather when i can and tonight just before i got home after a short ride it made a rattling noise from the clutch casing side of the bike,i stopped the engine then found the casing had cracked in a few places. I drained the oil and removed the casing and found one of the clutch spring bolts had sheared off which had cracked the casing so i now have to source another casing and clutch basket. As its a Borg Warner clutch (which does slip when the engine is cold) does anyone know if the clutch baskets different from earlier models and only the starter part that's different? and has anyone got a clutch basket or Clutch casing that they are willing to sell?
Dave
Wuh, dain't Borg Warner play tennis :o
an' dow worry mate, Alan'll be along in a minute.....eees an engineer u know ! :lol:
Sos Al, had to do it :D
asco58

Post by asco58 »

Hi Dave,

The earlier (3 roller) and later (Borg Warner) clutch baskets are not interchangeable as the BW basket has a much larger bearing because of the spacer as well as the 3 roller clutch having the starter clutch screwed on instead of rivetted like the BW. The inner hub has some differences as well. The two are only interchangeable as whole assemblies. You can have a look at this Suzuki service bulletin from Page 13 onwards if you want which outlines the exact differences between the two. http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/techb ... 022-26.pdf
Hope this helps, Ash
Dav57

Post by Dav57 »

Thanks.
I could change the whole assembly if need be if i cant find the the clutch basket and front plate that i require?
Dave
Dav57

Post by Dav57 »

Screenshot_20210804-175331_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210804-175323_Gallery.jpg
I've stripped the clutch and i dont need the whole clutch basket if i can source the 2 items attached
Dave
asco58

Post by asco58 »

The pressure plates are all the same.

As for the inner hub, according to the service bulletin, there are three types. The one that is flat or hollowed out is for the Borg Warner clutch. The one with the protrusion is for the old type.

Yours looks like the hollowed version (correct me if I'm wrong). I'd think your best bet would be to see if someone on here has one as most of the ones that seem to come up on eBay are from the old style clutch.
inner_hub.png
Dav57

Post by Dav57 »

Yeh it is the hollowed version. I've seen on Classic Suzuki Parts NL they have a new one for about £60 complete with delivery so for that price i might as well get it from there. I've seen some Clutch engine casings online but all the good one's are from America so might have to get one from there.
Dave
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

I have removed sheered bolts by drilling from the rear at a slow speed,
The drill bit very often grabs the remains of the bolt and will turn it out.
teazer

Post by teazer »

I can see a few minor gouges in the outer face of the pressure plate but nothing that would prevent it from working. Is there more wrong with it that I can't see?

With the hub, I can't see much wrong. If the bolt can be removed from the rear or with a left hand drill, that would be good, but of it's cracked it should be replaced.
asco58

Post by asco58 »

I wouldn't have thought the sheered bolt would be able to damage any of the inner surfaces surfaces whilst the clutch is fully assembled.
You could also use one of those tapered reverse thread bits for extracting bolts if there's one that's small enough.

I haven't had any problems getting parts from the US so far. Your right that most of the UK sold clutch covers seem to have some kind of damage. Downside to importing parts from the US is that the postage is high and then there's import duties on top of that.