T500 forks section please.

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
stupot

T500 forks section please.

Post by stupot »

I removed my forks as they felt like pogo sticks. Ive found one has no dampering whatso ever and the other one is rock hard without damping.
The stanshonys are pitted where the seals rub up and down and I wanted to send them away to be rechromed.
However after reading the manual ( I lost my glasses ) aswell . I dont know how to remove the stnchonionios from tubery ferkins.
Could some nice gentlemen on here could possibly PM me so we can phone each other up that would be great.

My forks are off a 1971 J reg with the chrome steel forks on type thingy ones.
everyones a winner
teazer

Re: T500 forks section please.

Post by teazer »

Congratulations on the purr chase of our egg selint T500 mo'sickle with the finest suspenders. The stanchonys are hard chrome plated and will last an eternity, or two English summers - whichever comes first. The slider things are retained like many other japanese manufacturers of the era who all copied us, even if they made them first.

As I understand it, the sliders are retained by the screwed on top sleeve nut which also holds the seals in place. The lower spring post is most likely welded in place somewhat like a Honda CB160 or CB72/77. Later damper rod forks were retained by a bottom screw in the slider, but these forks I believe were more like a Triumph shuttle valve design where the valve at the bottom of the stanchion could move up to uncover damping holes and slide back to cover them and provide damping.

So you need to unscrew the sleeve nut to break things loose. There's probably an O ring circlip that has to be removed.

Get your hands on a parts diagram which should show you how the come apart. https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-t500-1968- ... 85366.html click on the see large Image button to see what you are dealing with.
stupot

Post by stupot »

Thankyou for your reply.
Im looking at page 27 of the suzuki parts catalogue T500 Item number 8 which is referred to as a NUT. It looks like a collar at the top of the tube but its so smooth i dont want to damage it with stiltsons.
Ive tried a oil filter removing belt on it.
Is this what i need to be unscrewing ?
Attachments
DSC08779.JPG
DSC08780.JPG
everyones a winner
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

stupot wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:15 pm Thankyou for your reply.
Im looking at page 27 of the suzuki parts catalogue T500 Item number 8 which is referred to as a NUT. It looks like a collar at the top of the tube but its so smooth i dont want to damage it with stiltsons.
Ive tried a oil filter removing belt on it.
Is this what i need to be unscrewing ?
Warm it up with a paint stripper gun or similar, I used an oil filter chain wrench on mine but I protected it with a scrap of rubber strip to protect it. I’m in Warrington if you’re anywhere near me bring it here and I’ll do it for you and our Gert might even supply tea 8-)
Last edited by PaulD738 on Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Looks like the spile choker fairy is hard at work on this fred, dunnit.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:21 am Looks like the spile choker fairy is hard at work on this fred, dunnit.
Smart arse :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!

stupot

Post by stupot »

Brilliant , Ive got permission to get the fire out " Ma haha MU ha ah haha Wahaha ".
Ill let you know what gets burnt .
everyones a winner
stupot

Post by stupot »

My mate came round with a few different sorts of oil filter removers and we heated the collar up without setting fire to anything but alas the collar will not budch so im going to take it to Simon at western rebores to see if he can do anything .
If he cant do it
It will be three weeks before I get time to visit Paul for my cup of tea.
everyones a winner
stupot

Post by stupot »

The forks are now dismantled thanks to Simon at western rebores , he used a large four jaw chuck without causing any issues.
Now im sending the tubes to be rechromed but im not sure about the lower ends as they have an tube riveted on or so it looks .
Do please help with advise on how to proceed.
everyones a winner
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Aggbrigg did mine no problem
Attachments
DDB134A4-043A-4FD8-AFFD-F93C91C9355E.jpeg