New Project. T500 / GS500

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
itsnotateapot

New Project. T500 / GS500

Post by itsnotateapot »

About 6 months ago i bought a T500 engine as spares for the two i have, any way after getting it home and stripping it down it was way to good to use as spares, it was on original pistons and i dont think it had ever been apart, the points plate and points had not got any marks or any of the screws dont look like they have ever had a screwdriver in them. also the gearbox was immaculate. so it was fully stripped cleaned and put back together. then my thoughts were what can i put it in, and after many hours of searching i bought this a 2003 GS500 for the Bargain price of £350
and it was a running bike it just failed mot on Rear shock needed replacing and front brake light switch not working.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_5f.jpeg
9m+vGW+JSK62nr7n1kkUEQ.jpg
fullsizeoutput_5b.jpeg
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
itsnotateapot

Re: New Project. T500 / GS500

Post by itsnotateapot »

Next job was too strip the GS and it fought me all the way so many rusted bolts that snapped and needed drilling out and re-tapping. then came the task of fitting in the t500 engine, it was pretty easy realy after cutting off the engine mounts and making new ones to fit it lined up realy well just took a couple of days, Then came the job of wiring, I used T500 coils Regulator and rectifier. they got spliced into the original wiring loom. Also i got rid of a load of stuff like all the electric start wires side stand cut out and pull the clutch lever to start wires, then with a temp battery kicked it over and there was a nice big fat spark, so i carried on and mocked the rest of the bike up.It was then time to start her for the first time, a dummy fuel tank was used and it only took about 4 kicks and it fired up ran it for about ten seconds then turned off because there were no exhausts on it it was NOISEY. it was the time to strip it down and tart it up a bit, all the paint work has not been touched, Frame powder coated crinkle black. wheels repainted black and the callipers and rear master cylinder painted Gold (left over paint from the 1968 Cobra), and a few other bits and bobs.
Then came the matter of the exhausts i wanted a 2 into 1 Expansion chamber but as there are non about i decided to make one from scratch, i mean how hard can it be. So i based it on the piper 3 into one and it turned out really well.The down pipes are stainless what i all ready had. the end can is just there for my benifit as i didnt like the look of the pea shooter. It sounds fantastic and runs well i have only done a few miles and the gearing is too low at the minute so i will play about with different sprockets.
Here is how she looks now.
Attachments
HvajhzPBSoyVlhzSyfjphQ.jpg
2stgzvWLQNy+yL0iPPDUQg.jpg
9A63MdgfTKSQCgu53Fx8Rg.jpg
B5gcxKQKSiWlu5KIIi4nsw.jpg
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
Eastham

Post by Eastham »

I hate people like you :D
I was more than happy re spoking my rims on my Fizzy, I take my hat off to you
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

Looks really good Rich, well done
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

When the Earwig is finished from it's makeover, we'll have to get out on them and annoy a few anoraks again.
I had been thinking of putting an overbored 550 engine in a Bandit frame. How hard can that be? It'd certainly cause a stir parked next to your GTS500! :lol:

Very nice bike too, having seen it a couple of times during the build.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

That's a cracker Rich, looks like you've done it again :D Well done mate.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Bloody hell Richard that looks stunning 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
malky

Post by malky »

Nice one Rich - its certainly something different :D
zapo

Post by zapo »

Unbelievable, you are a man of many talents.
I look forward to hearing it Ning Ning ninging around the Peak District.
I had two stroke's and survived.
slosher

Post by slosher »

It sounds awesome well done Rich you ought to patent those pipes you'd make a fortune ;)
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)