GT550 Starter motor replacement

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
teazer

GT550 Starter motor replacement

Post by teazer »

GT550 starter motors seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo. They look almost identical to a GT750 motor but the end plate is different.

Anyone know if there's a starter motor for say a modern bike that fits a GT550?
Alan H

Re: GT550 Starter motor replacement

Post by Alan H »

Dunno, but Baz can get your old one refurbed. I've had 3 over the past few years for each of the 550s I've resto'ed, and last month one for the Hippo.
PM him here - memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
teazer

Post by teazer »

Thanks Alan. Postage might be a bit steep from the US. I'll see if I can get something done a little closer to home, but I'll keep Baz in mind. It belongs to a buddy of mine who can't kick start his bike due to various medical issues but can ride as long as someone else kicks it for him. I don't mind that if I'm at the drag strip with him, but he really needs a good reliable starter.

I compared his bad starter with a GT750 and other than the end cap with the mounting bolt holes, it looks like the same or similar dimensions. Same shaft end, same splines, same nose and seal so I was hoping that someone would have a link to a GSXR or TL1000 or Bandit starter that would work or could be the source of parts.

On ebay yesterday before I posted, there was a rusrty OEM starter for 500 bucks or any number of new or low mileage starters for 50 bucks or less.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

$500?!?! Baz doesn't charge that for a new/refurbed one!!! K'inell!!!! :shock:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

Have you thought about trying to fit the 750 end on the 550 starter.
teazer

Post by teazer »

Good question. I pulled out two different GT750 starters which share the same dimensions as the 550 with the exception of the end cap where it's bolted down. Unfortunately the end cap design was a little different. The owner found a used starter in his pile of parts and after a quick strip and clean, it works OK.
He also had a Rick's replacement starter and OEM starter for his GS1100E and it turns out that it appears to be the same dimensions as a GT750, so when I run out of old crusty starters, I can get one from a GS750 550 100 etc. He said he did a part number look up and they were fitted to a number of bikes.
The 1100 starter had permanent magnets and not field coils which is a different design, but should work.

So for now he is good to go, but if anyone has a cross reference, it could be useful for other 550 owners.
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

Good news.Also some good information there.