Earwig

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Re: Earwig

Post by Alan H »

Thought about that, but as the pump and spider base need to clamp to the crankcase, it'll be a mfkr of a job.
I might have to make something to do it properly though. When I've done the Earwig.
And the Yeti.
:roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
barney01

Post by barney01 »

If you look at Pink Possum Alan you will see the pump numbers referenced to different models :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Not seen that. I'll have a luke.
Update. I looked at this one - https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_ ... s/page-A57 - which is the same really. I'll have to go low tech and print it (them) out for the garage 'easy reference guide' book.
Pink Possum one here - http://www.pinkpossum.com/GT750/Oilpump.htm
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, the Earwig is running. A bit 2/2.5/3 cylinders, but lots of smoke and the iffy one is the left. I'll get the airbox on and gearbox oil in and get it on the street to get the left pot cleared out. Woo and a bit of hoo!!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Or boo and a bit of poo as it turned out....
Took the clutch cover off & fitted the gasket yesterday, started filling with oil and a leak appeared. Bolox!! Looks like the seal on the gearchange indicator shaft isn't sealing, so went through all the parts books which helpfully give part numbers but not spec/sizes and found that there's none in the UK and postage from elsewhere is stupid. Eventually managed to find that it's 16x24x7mm so ordered 2 (just in case!) which should be here in a couple of days.
Nowt straightforrard is there?
Not at all, as there seems to be another small leak under the gearbox - pinhole size - but enough to drip, so that's either going to get a self tapper up it's chuff or mebbe a 3mm tapped hole made & a 5mmlong stud loctited in it. Access is a pig of course as the exhausts are back on.
Oh no, cos I also compared the rear shocks on both 550s after noticing the J seemed a bit higher than the A in the rear tyre/rear guard clearance area and found the A shocks (Hagons) are 1/2" shorter than the J one's oem lookalikes. :?
Anyway, contacted Hagons and ordered some new ones 13" long. That should stop the side stand catching and causing a 'nip' again. The marks came out of the seat anyway......
I expect the side stand will need lengthening now though, or the bike will be leant over too far.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Ye didnee expext owtelse didga
As a (not so) wise man told me recently :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Oil seals came today and fitted one OK flush with the casing so the O ring sould be ok too.
Of course the switch O ring is a bit on the anti Mizzy size (too skinny) so I think I'll fit one of those just in case too. 10 seals for £2.46 ,ebay item 143394927873 but slightly more Mizz at 2mm rather than 1.75mm (about 12% fatter :roll: ) should do the trick.
The seals are 16x24x7mm, ebay item 361977833275 if anyone needs any at £3.70 for 2.
The seal seems ok on its' own, but I'll 'upgrade' the O ring as well. This seal (according to the book) is only required on MAB models.
Another parcel came today - only ordered last week from Hagons -
new shocks.jpg
The ones on the bike are, as mentioned a couple of posts ago, a bit short at 11.5 inches instead of a full 300mm, so I've gone for 330 length to give a bit more ground clearance on the spannies and stand. Whistle see how good they are, but the ones on the Hippo really do make a difference to the handling and it upsets the purists too, so win, win there.
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

It’s not anti Mizzy it’s uncle Mizzy.

I do read all your posts you know and just because Steve won’t come out and play doesn’t mean you can pick on me.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

mizzytheman wrote:It’s not anti Mizzy it’s uncle Mizzy.

I do read all your posts you know and just because Steve won’t come out and play doesn’t mean you can pick on me.
1bow.gif
1bow.gif (3.22 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Alan H wrote:Of course the switch O ring is a bit on the anti Mizzy size (too skinny) so I think I'll fit one of those just in case too. 10 seals for £2.46 ,ebay item 143394927873 but slightly more Mizz at 2mm rather than 1.75mm (about 12% fatter :roll: ) should do the trick.
Alan, I will order some O rings for "just in case" as I have had mine leak previously. Do you know what the ID is so I can order.

Cheers

Paul :)
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red