Earwig

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
PaulD738

Re: Earwig

Post by PaulD738 »

canaletto5 wrote:
PaulD738 wrote:
Alan H wrote:Is your mate going to be riding it then?
No, he’s even more decrepit than I am :roll:
Anyway I only use the clutch to pull off pull away (phew that was close) I don’t use the clutch when the bike is moving 8-)
Isn't it really inefficient to be going everywhere in 1st gear?
Depends on how small the rear sprocket is :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:Not for Paul. He's used to holding traffic up as an ex- waggin driver. He gets vertigo over 56mph.....
Oi I’m here ya know :lol:
Anyway as I used to carry hazardous chemicals in Europe my lorry could only do 80 kph, 50mph for the hard of thinking :o
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Had a couple of local runs around 'the block' and all seems well for a complete rebuild, then on a more adventurous run found choke slightly on, so ran like crap. Sorted this and ran fine.
Went to Squires biker caff last Thurday and found that 65mph caused fuel starvation. Bugger. Otherwise all seems ok.
Had a look the day after and checked tap, inline tap, filter and fixings and noticed that someone had fitted the ILF upsydownsy. Put a new one on (arrow pointing to carbs this time) and all seems ok. Allus summat in't there?
Hopefully that'll sort it. Whistle see.
Sounds well, power band is better and another few miles 'running in' should sort it. Must get a better rev counter as this one tells lies. Lots of lies!!!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Good progress Alan. Haha! Done the same with inline filters :lol:
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Had a run out to Maltby today (and back!) and she fair flies along, but a bit of clutch slip at about 6 grand when the powerband comes in - better than before too, so mebbee some slightly stronger springs now the drybollik clutch is all settled down.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Fitted new plates & springs to the Earwig. Remantled all the exhausts, rear brake and other gubbins that was taken off to get the clutch off, then went for a blast on my 'circuit'. Still a bit of clutch slip, but I didn't adjust the drybollix, so that'll be another day's job. Nice to be back on a 550 that doesn't misfire.
Took the inline filter off and swapped the inline tap for a larger bore item. That appears to have cured the fuel starvation, so a bit of clutch adjustment will hopefully have Earwig on top form.
Might have the fairing off and put slightly higher bars on and standard clocks so I can see what the actual revs are. The electronic gubbins is obviously female as it does exactly as it wants. :roll:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Taken the Vapor dash off and all the associated gubbins and put a standard clockset on. Of course the gear indicator doesn't work - shows 8 constantly - so it apppears to be faulty. Connecting 6 core cable from coils area to headlamp missing (it wasn't needed before) so made one up and tried that without luck - it seems the display has an internal fault. I'll have a look in the box and fit one of the cheap chinky ones instead. Put some slightly higher bars on which meant that the front brake hose needed rerouting, so off it came and 'just' fitted, but needs a small bracket putting under the 3 way splitter under the headlamp so the hoses aren't tight (hose was made for lower flat bars).
Managed to finally get a 40t sprocket for the GS550 back wheel and fitted that last week - now on 17/40 so slightly lower than standard, which might help fuel consumption (if I start being more gently with the throttle!). That's dropped the revs nicely, but at an indicated 85mph :roll: the old fuel starvation came back, so I've a new tap to fit to the tank.
Nowt straightforrard is there?
New led headlamp to fit to match the Hippo and GS too while the headlamp is off - that'll be more pursed lips from the anorak brigade. :lol:
Last edited by Alan H on Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

New led headlight sorted ready to fit, found the CCD (cheap chinky display) and tested it ok. Can't remember seeing it mentioned anywhere, but the CCD that I have is black = positive (yep, really).
So now the colours are

No. CCD wire, Harness wire
0 green/red, blue
1 yellow, white/yellow
2 blue, red/black
3 green, green/blue
4 brown, yellow/black
5 orange, brown/red
6 n/a, light green/red

6 is because the wiring from switch to headlamp is for all models including 250 & 380.
Anyway, tested 0 to 5 all ok, so all I have to do is take the clocks off, strip them, swap the display, remantle & refit. What could possibly go wrong?........ :roll:

New tap fitted to the tank, so I might take the inline tap off now (could do with a pingel off/on/reserve tap, but can't find one)

An old thread does it different - viewtopic.php?p=27907#p27907 with a N instead of 0.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Had a couple of 'plays' with the bike recently and changed the handlebars to a pair of slightly raised ones similar to what's on the 550J (which seems to have settled down and is running fine). Of course this means that the brake pipes are slightly short, but they rerouted and refitted ok. Got a LED headlight on same as the Hippo and GS too - doesn't look 'right' on the J so that has a standard headlamp on. Tried the indicators (now the standard clocks are on) and all 4 flash. Hmmm. LED 'waterfall' type indicators and a standard telltale bulb in the clocks. Bugger, put the old indicators back on and all seems well. I was fed up of the waterfall ones anyway as they didn't work properly as the battery voltage rose (at 5000rpm +) anyway. Managed to refit the airhorns after breaking one and JB welding it mended again, then a bit of a rush to go out on it yesterday and forgot to put the mirrors on. Surprising how much you use them when they aren't there innit?
Went up to Squires with a couple of mates on H1s and the bike ran well with no signs of fuel starvation and hit 8k rpm through the gears fine, (not in top of course, officer!) The indicators don't flash properly, so I'll swap the relay for a non led one and get the mirrors on today. Thanks to Ade for refurbing the clocks - the tacho seemed a bit sluggish at first, but settled down and worked fine after the first few minutes, so all is well there it seems now - top job mate.
Must get some pics of the new/old look.......
Anyone need an electronic dash in good working order?
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

7 years in the making !!! It never took that long to build the M62 motorway. Mind you the only good thing about the M62 is at least it gets you out of Yorkshire. :roll: