Earwig

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Re: Earwig

Post by Alan H »

ID 28.3mm, OD 33.2mm. I ordered 28mm and another packet of assorted swearwords!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Alan H wrote:ID 28.3mm, OD 33.2mm. I ordered 28mm and another packet of assorted swearwords!
Thanks Alan :)
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Got in the garage today and was greeted by a large puddle of oil under the earwig. Bugger!!!
The last exciting instalment of the rebuild finished with the oil seal being fitted and the gearbox oil going in. No apparent leaks, so it was filled with 1500ccs of 20w50 as Mr. Suzuki intended.
Anyway, the oil seal wasn't leaking, so had a look underneath and noted a drop of oil forming at the corner of the starter motor cover. Double bugger!
Took the cover off and it was the starter motor seal that was leaking. Treble bugger.
Not to worry, I have a spare starter motor with a seal. Took the seal off and it's been squashed, so too thin.
Ahh! Never mind, one of the seals that came for the gear indicator switch will do - 28mm instead of 26mm, but it might do with a bit of doctoring. Cut and superglued. Typical. The only thing my UHU superglue won't stick is a cut O ring. (How many buggers is that now?)
So I've ordered some and they will be here Tuesdayish. Looks like the Yeti will be getting some rebuild time then.
Nowt straightforrard is there?
Last edited by Alan H on Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Al, I’ve got a selection of “O” ring cord with different diameters. Cheap as chips and very handy. Only use the thin superglue though and make sure you cut the edges square. Carb cleaner works to remove the oil btw
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
barney01

Post by barney01 »

My 26mm O rings arrived today. I have two spare starter motors put them on. Brilliant! They sit proud whereas the OEM ones dont. Going to do the one on the bike which weeps a little even though it was suzuki part and replaced last year.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Richard called in last week and we had a good look round under/inside and noted a slight leak on a crankcase flange. Upped the torque on the case bolts a bit and also wiped a smear of silicone around the area just in case. This seems to have done the trick, but if it leaks again, sod it.
Another little change I made was this -
Clutch1.jpg
Clutch 2.jpg
Clutch 3.jpg
A hydraulically operated clutch. Lovely and smooth, no cable to break and works fine.
One or two other changes too - more pics soon.
2StrokeDreamer

Post by 2StrokeDreamer »

I like that clutch conversion. Is that made with 'regular' hydraulic fittings or is it something you came up with?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I'd been thinking of a project for some time on the lines of a smoother clutch, and while looking for ideas, found that a company called Magura did a complete kit - at about £300!?!?!?!?!.......
Yes, that's what I thought, so I looked for alternatives and got a nice set of hydraulic clutch/brake levers with 14mm pistons for about £20, an actuator for about a tenner and locally sourced stainless braided hose and fittings for about £20. Then it's just playing with bits and setting them up.
I've ordered a spare actuator - ebay 362993374134 - 'just in case' and the controls are similar to ebay 353096918802.
Of course there are similar items of different styles and colours, so you can customise to your own taste.
I went for large master cylinder pistons so that the twin discs on the 550 work ok, and the clutch would lift enough (smaller slave cylinder means that will move more than the master cyl.)

Wonder what I can 'upgrade' next. I've already got 'flowing' indicators, electronic dash and 3 discs etc.
Mebbee lighting, or a turbo (or 3!)............. :ugeek:
Last edited by Alan H on Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2StrokeDreamer

Post by 2StrokeDreamer »

Alan H wrote: Wonder what I can 'upgrade' next. I've already got 'flowing' indicators, electronic dash and 3 discs etc.
Mebbee lighting, or a turbo (or 3!)............. :ugeek:
Nitrous :mrgreen:

I'll add "clutch conversion" to the project list. A start date for said project would be nice too, but pandemics do kinda interrupt things a bit (also my Ducati has required a bit of work from sitting for a few years).
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I understand that Ducatis need attention no matter how much (or little!) they run. :lol: