Gt250 wiring routing

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
strokernut

Gt250 wiring routing

Post by strokernut »

I need to pick your brains once more this week: I'm building my GT250A from bits so I never had the chance to take photos for reference - no, it's not an excuse, it's a reason! This time I need a bit of help routing the wiring harness; I've sorted it out from the headstock backwards, but I'm not sure which route to take around the steering head and up to the headlight and clocks. Some photos I've seen seem to have loop of something under the bottom yoke, but I can't tell if this is wiring or cable(s). The Haynes manual doesn't really help, either.

Any ideas, please? I would rather get it right first time if possible.
canaletto5

Re: Gt250 wiring routing

Post by canaletto5 »

If you look behind the headstock at the bottom of the yoke there is a triangular bracing plate with a hole in it. The loom routes through there and loops under the bottom yoke (supported by a clamp) and then goes up behind and into the headlamp shell. Kev
strokernut

Post by strokernut »

That's great, thanks - I suspected the loop under the yoke was something to do with it.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

strokernut wrote:That's great, thanks - I suspected the loop under the yoke was something to do with it.
Thanks to Mike Yeadon for putting me right on this when I wired up my 380 :)
suzukigary

Post by suzukigary »

canaletto5 wrote:
strokernut wrote:That's great, thanks - I suspected the loop under the yoke was something to do with it.
Mike/Kev
have you any pics of these? I suspect that both my 250 and 380 are routed wrong!

Cheers Gary
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

suzukigary wrote:
canaletto5 wrote:
Mike/Kev
have you any pics of these? I suspect that both my 250 and 380 are routed wrong!

Cheers Gary
I can show you the pics for my 380. ~The sequence is from back to front. The last one is where it emerges from the hole.There should be a grommet around the hole which I haven't fitted yet.Kev
Attachments
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

For the grommet, I used an old one from a headlamp shell....cut it, then trimmed it so that when installed in the steering head hole, it was perfectly lined up. Its quite a shove to get it in but using a small plain bladed screwdriver it went home nice and neatly, properly clipping around the slot in the grommet edge. I did this because I forgot to install one before wiring the bless thing up! Did the same for the GT380...which had been without a grommet for lord knows how long. They should be installed to prevent chafing.
Cheers,
Mike
brivww

Post by brivww »

canaletto5 wrote: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:49 pm If you look behind the headstock at the bottom of the yoke there is a triangular bracing plate with a hole in it. The loom routes through there and loops under the bottom yoke (supported by a clamp) and then goes up behind and into the headlamp shell. Kev
Would you by any chance have a picture of the clamp and its location?

Struggling to find a clamp for mine and where its actually fixed
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Sorry, no. I sold the bike two years ago. There must be some one else on here with one. Kev