barney01

Re: The Yeti

Post by barney01 »

Great News Alan! Get the finest malt out tonight to celibrate :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:tw wicked alan ,hard work pays off ,pics soon mate ,excellent :D :o :shock: :lol:
Frankibaby :lol:
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Not before bloody time yer slacker :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Alan H wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:24 am A good day yesterday - after a morning farting about in the greenhouse/garden (I expect you want pics of that too?!) I got the bikes out and fitted a led bulb to the new headlamp reflector (Land Rover, not motorbike as they are about half price). Hmmm, not to impressed, so fitted a HID unit in and that's really bright, so that's another non standard item staying on then....
The electric start hadn't been right and kept slipping/kicking out when the plugs were fitted (ok just spinning the engine though?) so took the clutch case off & stripped the clutch. Found the Borg Warner one way clutch was 'tired' so swapped it for a brand new (not somuch) CCI one (cheap chinky import ;) ) which is actually a nicely made bit of kit and seems to have sorted the issue. Of course they make stuff for the Japanese now, not not all rubbish!
Mr. Canaletto imported them and has some for sale if anyone else needs one, so pm him for details.
I'll get some oil in the 'box now and see how much leaks out.....
Remantled the clutch & case and all seems well now. Timed the engine and now ready for a start, hopefully - that'll be today's job if it stays fine. I know I had a rechromed brake pedal 'somewhere safe', but Gawd knows where that has ended up, so it might mean another trip to Agbrigg chromers on monday. The second new tacho cable is about 6" too long so a wtf letter will be sent, in the meantime, I fitted an old one and the tacho works anyway.
Progress indeed at last, I just hope the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train coming this way......
Yep, as Alan sez, I spent quite a bit of time sourcing an OE quality one way clutch bearing to replace 12650-34020. Fits all GT550's with the Borg Warner clutch. If anyone wants one, PM me. Kev
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Alan H wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:24 am A good day yesterday - after a morning farting about in the greenhouse/garden (I expect you want pics of that too?!) I got the bikes out and fitted a led bulb to the new headlamp reflector (Land Rover, not motorbike as they are about half price). Hmmm, not too impressed, so fitted a HID unit in and that's really bright, so that's another non standard item staying on then....
The electric start hadn't been right and kept slipping/kicking out when the plugs were fitted (ok just spinning the engine though?) so took the clutch case off & stripped the clutch. Found the Borg Warner one way clutch was 'tired' so swapped it for a brand new (not so much) CCI one (cheap chinky import ;) ) which is actually a nicely made bit of kit and seems to have sorted the issue. Of course they make stuff for the Japanese now, not not all rubbish!
Mr. Canaletto imported them and has some for sale if anyone else needs one, so pm him for details. In fact, I've just ordered one off him for the spares box, they appear that good!
I'll get some oil in the 'box now and see how much leaks out.....
Remantled the clutch & case and all seems well now. Timed the engine and now ready for a start, hopefully - that'll be today's job if it stays fine. I know I had a rechromed brake pedal 'somewhere safe', but Gawd knows where that has ended up, so it might mean another trip to Agbrigg chromers on Monday. The second new tacho cable is about 6" too long so a wtf letter will be sent, in the meantime, I fitted an old one and the tacho works anyway.
Progress indeed at last, I just hope the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train coming this way......
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Busy day yesterday - nipped to Agbriggs the chromers with a couple of brake pedals, rear brake cables, and other bits for different plating - they should be ready very soon - whistle see how soon!!, then on to a mate's as he's got grumpyitis. Sorted that with some jolly repartee and a pork pie, then went to another mate who restores Hondas to give some electrical advice and the post office to send a generator rotor darn sarf.
Long day, so no bike related stuff done! Off to the baths later to train a trio of young snorkelers at the Scuba club.

2 parcels today - headlight bulb connectors to replace the dodgy one on the bike plus a spare 'just in case' and some indicator reflectors with leds in to replace the other standard ones. This will give side indication as well as the normal front/back. It will also upset the purists a bit more, so money well spent.
I'll get the crash bars on next and maybe some tiny driving lights for safety. Next decision, do I fit a standard squeaky horn, a set of air horns, or a 12v train horn that was bought for the GSX14? Decisions, decisions......
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I'll do a full 'report' later this week, when hopefully it will be compete - if I can find the bloody tank badges.....
They are in a safe place. A VERY safe place. I think. :roll:
I'll also do a few pics showing some of the non-standard bits. :lol: :twisted:
Although if you look carefully, you can see 5 at least.
And I know there's no decals on.
Nearly 1.jpg
Nearly 2.jpg
Nearly 3.jpg
Nearly 4.jpg
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

Very nice Allan.
gladders