Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
canaletto5

Re: The Yeti

Post by canaletto5 »

Getting there buddy! Just look out for those slack nipples
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

canaletto5 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:16 pm Getting there buddy! Just look out for those slack nipples
It's a problem at his age Kev :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

My nipples are all tight and pointy al havyerno!! :shock: :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:04 pm My nipples are all tight and pointy al havyerno!! :shock: :lol:
Sh1t that's an image I'll never get out of my head :shock:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Yeti running well now. Went up to Squires for the usual fine weather thursday pork pie & frothy coffee (& ice cream!) yesterday. T500, GT550J, 3 x H1 Kwaks and a RD250 in 'our' group + lots of other Yams about for the benefit of the polar bears.
4ls front brake has bedded in nicely and stops the bike very well, engine runs well up to 6000rpm (still a bit of running in to do), light smoke from exhausts, so might richen that a bit, otherwise very happy.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

No photos ? :roll:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I'll havva luke on the phone in a bit.

Bike runs well now and is a pleasure to ride. Up to nearly 500 miles and a quick razz to 8k rpm yesterday, so no doubt the fuel consumption will take a drop from the current 55mpg or so!!
slosher

Post by slosher »

Good to hear Alan :D yes they like to rev freely these 550s seems more responsive than the Kettle must admit though a bit envious of your MPG I'm only getting at best 30 mpg :o
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Just checking round and taking bits off to fit a rack, and noted a bit of movement on the back wheel. Not the normal round & round sort, side to side, so it looks like the wheel bearings will need doing. I'm sure these were changed during the build, but I've got a spare set.
Nowt straightforward is there?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Been out on the bike several times since the last post (on here, not the bugle tune) and made some changes so Yeti could go on holiday to the Isle of Man in August 2022. Rack fitted with a new top box base, pannier racks, LED headlamp, usb charger point with a voltmeter, and a satnav mount mainly. Oil changed and a good check round to make sure all was well. Topped the 2T oil tank up with semi synth, and seemingly ready to go.
Next morning there's a puddle of 2T oil under the bike, and on checking, found a hairline crack in the tank near the top which was just weeping oil. Fortunately there was a spare tank in the spares boxes, so fitted the after a lot of faff, and all was well. Tested the new electrics, and all working, but didn't check everything at once and found out later that when the satnav is plugged into the usb port, the voltmeter read 8v instead of battery voltage, and when the headlamp was on the satnav voltage wasn't enough to keep the satnav charged. Didn't find this out until it got dark on the way home, but managed anyway.
Otherwise the bike ran quite well.
Brimmed the tank, then fitted the top box & panniers and set off last Sunday the 21st August. Kept to mainly back roads and went through Flockton to 'cut the corner' to the M62, and decided to top off the tank when I got to Upper Brighouse after 27 miles. 1.7 litres later it was full. Yup, that works out at 65mpg. Got on the M62 and headed for Heysham doing a steady 55/60 (4000rpm) and Richard & Jackie caught me up in their van on the way to a pub there for dinner at about 11.30. No point rushing as they didn't open 'til 12, so I nipped to the garage & topped the tank off again. 5.7 litres for 87 miles gave 68.75mpg. Now I've had several 550s but never had mpg figures like that before, even when running in, so obviously the timing and everything else is spot on. Thanks to Baz for doing the carbs too.
I'll carry on with this thread later.