The Yeti

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
PaulD738

Re: The Yeti

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:The vernier says so! :lol:
Typical wannabe engineer :roll:
as we proper engineers say a very near :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well there has been progress....
Engine has been 'built' for some time, but lots of other 'stuff' gets in the way....
SRIS lines plumbed in, spider on, pump in bits and ready to go on after spider is filled, wiring sorted (where's the crossed fingers smiley?), new clutch rods measured, cut & installed, dust seal behind the clutch lift jobby cleaned, greased & reinstalled as new ones are stupid money....
Left casings and other bits on, and having all the exhausts on doubles the weight of the bike btw!
Tried to fit the connectors and only got 2 O rings -
motz.gif
motz.gif (9.68 KiB) Viewed 486 times
- Suzuki ones silly price (now there's a surprise!) so bought! 50 for £7 from 'elsewhere'. Painted outer drop brackets after blasting clean of course. Now the carbs & other bits can be persuaded into position.
Must take some pics for posterity!!!
More 'soon'........ :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

20200815_143351.jpg
20200815_143323.jpg
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Does it run :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

PaulD738 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:08 pm Does it run :roll:
Without carbs? Guess. :roll:
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:36 pm
PaulD738 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:08 pm Does it run :roll:
Without carbs? Guess. :roll:
Just wave a petrol soaked rag around the intake stubbs, it’ll be right :lol:

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Carbs fitted and bodged re-engineered the carb choke return springs so they work ok. Despite the folks over t'other side of the pond having the most expensive parcel system in the universe, managed to get a new Jap made throttle cable from Marcel in Holland this week. Ordered Tuesday, delivered today. Reasonable price I suppose all in at 52 euros.
Wiring is taking some sorting as the original harness pieces were well butchered. New back bit fitted (can't remember where from but thanks!) but each model year 550 front half is different, so the L harness is taking some fettling. A J front harness is nla of course.
motz.gif
motz.gif (9.68 KiB) Viewed 436 times
9 way connector was easy - just take all the pins out and rearrange them, but trying to get bullets into a 6 way is difficult, so will need some 'doctoring'. It'll fit though. :twisted:
Last edited by Alan H on Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:oops: wow Alan, talk about rebuild and renovation,you have certainly excelled with your yeti, absolutely brilliant alan ,I'll have to give you my next project coz you've made such a great job of yours lol :lol: :lol: :D :roll: :D excellent mate .
Frankibaby :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Haha, cheers Franki, but this will be my last project. Although I did say that a couple of times before....
Completed the wiring upgrades yesterday as bullet connectors won't fit in a 6 way for some reason, so I cut it off & crimped some female bullets on instead + a couple of double female bullet connectors on the front indicators so that the repeater works on the dash. Tested all the console lights - which were ok when the clocks were installed and the indicator repeater was the only one that wouldnt work - grrrrr!
This was due to a corroded bulb holder which was swapped from the stash, but still needed soldering due to a dodgy joint. Nowt simple is there?
New 'Atom' gel battery fitted with new earth cable, switch ignition on and........
Nowt. Nada, bugger all. Ah well, to be expected I suppose. Start tracing......
Oh the joys of after market harnesses - found that the back bit (which has incorrect sockets anyway) has 2 female bullet connectors that go to the rectifier and main harness fuse (and shouldn't be there) tucked inside the harness?!?!?!
Had to unwrap part of the harness to find them, so ordered some proper harness tape to make it pretty again. I'll just solder the wires together and sleeve them with heatshrink. Nobody will ever know!!!
Also found that the neutral switch wire that was missing from the bit of harness from the alternator should have been in the loom cover and not separate like mine, so that needs remedying too.
After market kit? K'inell.....
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Also picked some chroming up from Agbriggs, centre pipe with spring loops, some kickstart clamps and a twirly bracket for the tacho cable. Only dropped them off last week....
Great job as usual, of course that means I have to change the middle front pipe now to match the outers, and of course I need 4 springs as well........