The Yeti

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
PaulD738

Re: The Yeti

Post by PaulD738 »

Blah blah blah :roll:
Is it feckkin running yet?
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Soz Paul, didn't realise you only had the attention span of a blade of cut grass.
Details in the writing bit.

Or not......... :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:58 am Soz Paul, didn't realise you only had the attention span of a blade of cut grass.
Details in the writing bit.

Or not......... :roll:
You know I’m hard of learning :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

The electrickery stuff now goes from battery through ignition switch (when on, natch!) and the neutral light (after much faffing with the switch and wires) and main beam indicator lights light work as does the regulator at least.
And it's a late teatime now so time for nosebag.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Soldered the wiring after deleting the unwanted connectors and after triple heatshrinking it & prettied up the harness with the tape. 2 day service, very happy, I'll have to make a list of suppliers when it's all done.
Got some 10mm x 6 mm connectors for the main battery connectors to earth and starter solenoid and soldered those up to length so the starter motor can run - doesn't 'catch' every time, so I expect that'll need looking at before it runs, but plenty of other stuff to do first.
Oil pump is on & primed, front indicators working ok, but needs an extra earth from frame to headlamp and frame to ram air cowl.
Carbs on, but during fitting of the throttle cable, realised the twistgrip is a later type and the 'pull' hole is different to the early type so either a spares box oldie or 'doctoring' will be needed as there isn't enough adjustment to get all the slack out of the top part of the cable.
Need to swap the centre downpipe for the freshly rechromed 'loop' type and fit the springs when they land here, so all in all, progress of sorts, but painfully steady. It's fighting every inch is this one, but hopefully will be running next week as we will be elsewhere for a couple of days.
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

Your too clever alan lol :D wish I was lol :oops: :roll: :lol:
Frankibaby :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

A good day yesterday - after a morning farting about in the greenhouse/garden (I expect you want pics of that too?!) I got the bikes out and fitted a led bulb to the new headlamp reflector (Land Rover, not motorbike as they are about half price). Hmmm, not to impressed, so fitted a HID unit in and that's really bright, so that's another non standard item staying on then....
The electric start hadn't been right and kept slipping/kicking out when the plugs were fitted (ok just spinning the engine though?) so took the clutch case off & stripped the clutch. Found the Borg Warner one way clutch was 'tired' so swapped it for a brand new (not somuch) CCI one (cheap chinky import ;) ) which is actually a nicely made bit of kit and seems to have sorted the issue. Of course they make stuff for the Japanese now, not not all rubbish!
Mr. Canaletto imported them and has some for sale if anyone else needs one, so pm him for details.
I'll get some oil in the 'box now and see how much leaks out.....
Remantled the clutch & case and all seems well now. Timed the engine and now ready for a start, hopefully - that'll be today's job if it stays fine. I know I had a rechromed brake pedal 'somewhere safe', but Gawd knows where that has ended up, so it might mean another trip to Agbrigg chromers on monday. The second new tacho cable is about 6" too long so a wtf letter will be sent, in the meantime, I fitted an old one and the tacho works anyway.
Progress indeed at last, I just hope the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train coming this way......
Last edited by Alan H on Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Looking forward to today's update Alan. Hope you have it running :)
Paul
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!
First press of the button, carbs need playing with and lots still to do, but the engine runs, sounds sweet and after half a minute's knackling, ticks over nicely! And didn't even need easy start persuader (due to the can being empty!) :?
Woo and a bit of Hoo as well!!!
Should be on the road in a week or so when airbox, tank, panels etc. are all put on - and a fine day of course!!
Now where's that bloody brake pedal I had rechromed ages ago......... :roll:
Last edited by Alan H on Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Brilliant Alan :D
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red