The Yeti

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Re: The Yeti

Post by Alan H »

Alan H wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:36 pm Oh, the centre stand seems fed up - anyone got a GT550 one they want to flog?
From yesterday - the last couple of times the centre stand was used, it seemed a bit wobbly, so after a lot of scrambling about under the bike today, I took it off, and found......
s1.jpg
A crack :o
S2.jpg
A bloody big crack :(
S3.jpg
Or even more than a crack :shock:
S4.jpg
Oh, bugger!!! :cry:

Anyway, the local welder man sorted it and all back together now and stands straight! :)
(No picture though as it started to rain and I had to get all the bikes back in the garage!!)
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Glad you got your crack sorted Alan. Now that it is welded shut can we look forward to fewer posts? :lol: :tw
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

As much as I can expect you to supply a coffee when I call...... :roll: :lol:
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

The last thing you need is a double espresso :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

A single 'un'd be good.

In fact, a coffee that I didn't fetch would be a start, squeeky....... :roll:
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Typical. I give you the priceless gift of my company and you want a coffee that doesn't Costa lot
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

That's 2 things that're priceless then. :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

550J still in the naughty corner and I wonder if the points cam is off a 380, which engine spins the other way? Mebbe the points are bouncing due to being lifted too quick due to cam profile? Hmmm.
Spoke to Barney, and a proper 550 points cam is on its way for nowtpence (due to previous favours), so whistle see, hopefully by weekend - otherwise there will be more swearing and probably a complete rewire of the ignition circuitry. :(
Thanks Pete, yer a gent, but I suspect you knew that anyway! ;)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, after a busy few days doing 'other stuff', I managed to get some garage time today.
Firstly the GS wouldn't start, but there's hardly any fuel in the tank, so it might need some clear fuel line so I can see if it's getting to the carbs. I'm a bit disappointed that Mr. Canneloni didn't fit a fuel gauge to it. :roll:
Hippo started 1st press, so it may have self repaired, so that's a positive too.
Anyway, Yeti - took the points plate off to get to the cam base and with a bit of gentle tapping - ok, twatting the thing with a 'special' removing implement that looked like a specially ground screwdriver - it came off. Measured up, it's about 0.25mm thicker than Barney's 'proper' one and in different places, so it appears that it may be a 380 cam. I don't have a spare Hippo cam (I don't think) and they aren't easily identifiable unless someone knows different.
Tested points voltage and all were 11.6v. Not too bad I reckon as the volts have to go from battery + to ignition switch, kill switch, coils (as well as other places), then to points. Battery 12.46v.
Tried to set the timing, and left and right were easy but centre was miles off. Compared points sets and the centre one was different as was it's own back plate so not enough adjustment, so were relegated to Mr. Bin and checked stock for better. Sorted out points etc. into ND and K boxes for future use. Compared some spare ND and K plates and found that they weren't all the same so it appears that there are a 'few' 380 (or Hippo?) ones.
Looks like I need more boxes....
Finally managed to get a backplate that allowed all points to be set correctly - gap and actual timing - and set all the lot up. Only took about 2 hours, but I did repair a plug spanner and sorted loads of electrical parts as well.
Petrol on prime, choke on, hit the button and fired up straight away and revved cleanly and ticked over perfect. No time for a quick blast as it was teatime.
GS started 1st push as did Hippo. Poor Earwig had no attention today, but will have 'her' clutch adjusted tomorrow hopefully so will be ok for a run out.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Out on both 550s today. Earwig clutch adjusted, so no slip and really flies. Fortunately with 3 discs, stops too!!
Yeti went out and did 50 miles to Squires bike meet and ran beautiful, but little smoke. When I got home, found that the oil pump cable had become detached, so pump working at minimum. Chucked some 2T oil in the petrol tank 'just in case' and will have to make a better nylon nipple catcher for the pump arm. All going according to plan then...... :roll: