spark plugs

Here you can post a picture of you and your bike. Also where you are located and if you are prepared to give local kettle owners some of your time and experience.Please don't do discussions here just some facts about yourself. This was Glens idea! Thanks BAZ
steve2582

spark plugs

Post by steve2582 »

not been on for a while but my middle pot keeps on fouling up, pain in the neck, The plugs l am using are NKG b8ES ones. bit scared of going a bit hotter as my mate back in the 70s did and burnt a hole in his piston. what do you think oh by the way its only when putting around and not burning up the road Steve b
stevewharton

Re: spark plugs

Post by stevewharton »

Had a similar problem with my 'A' model a good while back (20+ years) and did in fact hole the middle piston, but think that was more likely a timing issue. However about 10 years ago I fitted a set of iridium plugs which have performed exactly as the makers say, a bit pricey (I paid about £6 each back then) but certainly a sound investment in my humble opinion :)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
slosher

Post by slosher »

stevewharton wrote: I fitted a set of iridium plugs
A little tip guy's if you do try iridium plugs DO NOT try to gap them to the Suzuki spec,just run as bought (don't ask me how i know) :oops:
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
EvansWard

Post by EvansWard »

Maker and part reference # for the iridium plugs? I’d like to buy and try a set for my GT750A. Thanks! 8-)
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV
1984 Yamaha RZ350
slosher

Post by slosher »

Try NGK BR8EIX think that's the one for "A" model
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

slosher wrote:Try NGK BR8EIX think that's the one for "A" model
+1
barney01

Post by barney01 »

I hate to be a PIA but i think i would try to address why the plug is fouling up too. I would make some checks on the SRIS valve for that cylinder to start with to check that all the waste oil is being ejected
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
EvansWard

Post by EvansWard »

Thanks slosher and canaletto5! Gonna give them a try.
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV
1984 Yamaha RZ350
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Do have look at Barneys suggestion too, best to be on the safe side. Once that's been checked and eliminated if you want to go down the iridium spark plug route, have a look on ebay for the best price. Best I've seen is around £9 each for 4 inc' p&p, but still a worthwhile investment imho. Have a look under Suzuki GT750 or look under iridium spark plugs then find your model, prices do vary a lot and sometimes (as above) cheaper from the US. If you don't trust ebay try Crookes or go to your local Suzuki dealer, but expect a higher price. As said above the plug number is NGK BR8E1X-5044 that's what's in mine and still going strong after 10+years.
HTH Steve W.
Last edited by stevewharton on Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
teazer

Post by teazer »

I use BR8EIX in all my GT750s. On the drag race motor they show little sign of heat and run clean even when the bike has sat for a while and has excess oil in the bottom end. I did try BR9s and they are too cold for street or drag race. If timing is out or mixture is lean any plug will overheat of course.

You may even be able to go down to BR7 but I doubt they would be necessary. I get all mine from ebay sellers. I hate to think what my not so local dealer would charge for them.

BTW, they are resistor plugs and should be used with carbon or copper leads and zero resistance plug caps. My bikes use electronic ignitions and never had a problem with L05 (5,000 ohm) caps but better with zero resistance caps.