GT550 Owner now,

Here you can post a picture of you and your bike. Also where you are located and if you are prepared to give local kettle owners some of your time and experience.Please don't do discussions here just some facts about yourself. This was Glens idea! Thanks BAZ
blackhat400

GT550 Owner now,

Post by blackhat400 »

Well i"v bought the 550 = 1973 K model, in the Hermosa Blue, totally unrestorerd, 21,000 miles, it came from Kent.area, [ usa import] she smoked like hell, found the pump lines were lined up At idle " so backed it off to the full throttle dot in window line up,, i thnk the right hand crank seal is away, [ smells sweet gear oil on right top pipe, ] .she"l do till the winter ,then will tear it down [ usa expression ] :D .
Am impress by the feel , and the power is smooth, looking at the other models what parts are same fit ..between models, ?
liking the forum lots of good tips and info,, i know a few members on here ,
barney01

Re: GT550 Owner now,

Post by barney01 »

Hi and welcome to the forum. Early 550's used quite a few different parts to 1974 on and also US models varied too. Plenty of help on here. This info here will help.
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_ ... /index.php
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, you've moved to the best triple. I restored a K a few years ago, details here - CLICKY LINKY
and currently run an A and (nearly) a J. Lovely bikes.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Alan H wrote:Well, you've moved to the best triple
Opinionated or what???

I happen to think that the kettle's the best triple, but you don't hear me constantly banging on about it.

And don't forget, this is the "KETTLE clinic," where's the 550 clinic??? It hasn't even got a user friendly nickname :roll:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:Well, you've moved to the best triple.
Oh no he hasn’t, that is the Kawa H1500 triple END OF STORY :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

stevewharton wrote:
Opinionated or what???
I happen to think that the kettle's the best tripe, but you don't hear me constantly banging on about it.
Real wee here with those 2 comments, Steve......
rofl.gif
rofl.gif (1010 Bytes) Viewed 496 times
And don't forget, this is the "KETTLE clinic," where's the 550 clinic??? It hasn't even got a user friendly nickname :roll:[/quote]
Indy. Although I never really liked that name much.
Better than rice boiler (or in your case, fishy - motor pike and side carp - though)......
PaulD738 wrote:
That story hasn't even got past the opening chapter, Paul. I know which I'd sooner ride on a twisty back road......
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
slosher

Post by slosher »

Hi there and welcome great knowledge on here with the 550
PaulD738 wrote:
Alan's quote is correct of course but there again i might be a little bit bias :lol: :lol:
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Alan H wrote:
stevewharton wrote:
Opinionated or what???
I happen to think that the kettle's the best triple, but you don't hear me constantly banging on about it.
Real wee here with those 2 comments, Steve......
rofl.gif
And don't forget, this is the "KETTLE clinic," where's the 550 clinic??? It hasn't even got a user friendly nickname :roll:
Indy. Although I never really liked that name much.

Stop changing what I write MoldY, "tripe"??? Surely you're describing your favourite mode of transport, :lol: or the majority of your 3 billion posts. :shock:
As for the mighty GT750, it's the most popular "three cylinder" motor cycle on the planet.
Try changing that Yorkie. ;)
And the nickname "Indy" no wonder you never really liked that much, it's about as memorable as the bike. ;)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
blackhat400

Post by blackhat400 »

Thanks for the welcome,, i had an H2, Theyre a different beast...kwacks are surgey ,the 550 is smoother, ,, i did Paris on my H2. 1400miles round trip...5 litre of 2T,,,i uppe the front sprocket to 16, [ 40mpg]... 8-) .

PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:Paul. I know which I'd sooner ride on a twisty back road......
Thats cos yer a wrinkly old wimp and can’t ride a real mans bike :lol: :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!