Cdn850T5NT - from Vancouver, BC Canada

Here you can post a picture of you and your bike. Also where you are located and if you are prepared to give local kettle owners some of your time and experience.Please don't do discussions here just some facts about yourself. This was Glens idea! Thanks BAZ
Cdn850T5NT

Cdn850T5NT - from Vancouver, BC Canada

Post by Cdn850T5NT »

Suzuki T500 wanna-be owner; owner (from new-in-the-box) of a 1985 Moto Guzzi 850T5NT (Series III). Wanna become more familiar with the issues one might face trying to buy, repair, own a 45 year old plus 2 stroke... Very interested in crankshaft phasing jigs.
Attachments
John's Moto Guzzi.JPG
Scotch750

Re: Cdn850T5NT - from Vancouver, BC Canada

Post by Scotch750 »

Wuh,
Hi Colin ? Dennis, Norman ? 850 Thomas ? 5, Nigel ? Trevor ?
You obviously haven't studied the forum fust av ya ?
A sort of proper intro would've bin nice.
There's a few of us on 'ere that dow like people just asking' for stuff without announcing themselves.(not askin' for inside leg measurement !).
Sorry if this sounded abrupt. Look at it from our angle ! This is not a nasty dig. Just a nudge.
Still, welcome mehrt.
Yal get a proper reply soon.
Thanks for the pic......we like that on 'ere :D
Cdn850T5NT

Post by Cdn850T5NT »

Apologies... of course CDN850T5NT is my bike... I'm John, from Vancouver. The bike of course is a Guzzi 850cc... T5 model, and NT - in the ever-so-clever way Guzzi does it (or did it in '85) was Nuovo Tipo - new type.

I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer, Project Engineer/Manager by way of a trade, from the Utilities business... power, natural gas, you know... that kind of stuff.

I'm a bit of a Petrolhead as Y'All in the British Isles would say... with two aircooled machines to my name and a host of (junky) cars. I'm the only one who turns wrenches on this fleet. I had a Suzuki TS90J when I was a kid... and then a Kawasaki KD175A2. I have fond memories of particularly the rotary valve Suzuki... and I came to the conclusion that I want another 2 stroke. I did say, at one time, that it would have to be single... what with the built-up crank and all (and the bearing and seals in the middle crank section as a big complication for a twin). However, as I read more about the T500 I became aware that that bottom end is really very stout, and when I read more about the CCI system, I concluded that the T500 would be a suitably reliable mount (by virtue of its conservatism of design... cooling, stout crank, etc...) Also, though the bike is likely under-braked with the twin leading shoe front drum brake - it by the same token does not suffer from actually having a hydraulic system with unobtanium parts.

The nature of my queries has to do with i) whether generally parts continue to be available for this up to 51 years old bike... and what the workarounds are if parts cannot be sourced... and ii) whether there are outfits out there that can accurately phase the centre crankshaft section... with a strong and accurate jig (guaranteeing crank throws at 180 degrees appart).

The other thing that strkes me, here, is that parts costs appear to be really, really expensive. If a person were to get the bike not in good nick - the acquisition of parts... and said cost --- could make restoration improbable or certainly uneconomic.

I just want to nose around a bit to see whether acquiring a T500 is a reasonable thing for me to consider doing.

Cheers from Vancouver.
Attachments
IMG_20110828_171732.jpg
alphacrankreconditioning.pdf
(649.65 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Petetrickracing - Crankshaft Indexing Fixture.jpg
Petetrickracing - Crankshaft Disassembly Fixtures.jpg
Example of a Really Weak Centre Crank Phasing Jig.jpg
Last edited by Cdn850T5NT on Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
astrax

Post by astrax »

Welcome to the forum John

There should be a few T500 owners on the forum that can give you good advice.
I nearly bought one on a trip over to the US two years ago, nice bikes, especially if can find one at a good price.

In the UK there seems to be a few suppliers of T500 parts, I have made quite a few stainless parts for T500 owners this year, not sure about genuine parts, but some of the other guys would have a better idea on that.

Restoring these old bikes can quickly get expensive, but if do a bit at a time, ride the bike a bit, then do a bit more, then not seem quite a bad.

Are there places to get chroming and spraying done in your area, chroming in the UK is really expensive.

Thanks
Ian
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Properly set up, a twin leading shoe (or 4 leading shoe) brake is fine. Hydraulic parts are easily available too with later models master cylinders being a popular upgrade as are later models calipers. It depends how original you want the bike to look.
Do a search on here (quick links top left of the screen) for details of lots of subjects already covered.
Oh, and welcome to the madhouse (now we know who you are!) :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Cdn850T5NT

Post by Cdn850T5NT »

Thank you, All, for your replies.

John