Here you can post a picture of you and your bike. Also where you are located and if you are prepared to give local kettle owners some of your time and experience.Please don't do discussions here just some facts about yourself. This was Glens idea! Thanks BAZ
canaletto5

Re: New Member

Post by canaletto5 »

That's really interesting. i had a set of barrels on my 550A which were exactly the same as yours. Higher studs at the back and four ports per barrel but iron lined, not Nikasil. It freaked me out so I sourced a set of Nikasils :lol:
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

Looks like someone has plated the iron barrels.
Dav57

Post by Dav57 »

They'll be rebored and new pistons so i'll stick with them :) Going to get a few things powder coated by a firm close to where i live,the frame and swing arm have already been done so hopefully in about 6 weeks i'll have everything back and start putting everything back together.
I'm in the process of doing others on the bike like polishing casings,forks and have stripped the clocks and putting new overlays as the originals were marked and not in great condition.I'm going to change the oil pump o ring seals and can anyone recommend what 2 stroke oil is best to use,i dont know whats in the tank at the moment only that its red :D and would it be best to empty it and clear the oil lines?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

canaletto5 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:48 pm That's really interesting. i had a set of barrels on my 550A which were exactly the same as yours. Higher studs at the back and four ports per barrel but iron lined, not Nikasil. It freaked me out so I sourced a set of Nikasils :lol:
Those barrels ended up on Mike Yeadon's 550 after it shat itself, and ran fine & quiet after they were fitted. The difference in porting was 2 extra Schneurle ports above the rear transfers which gave about 5hp increase on the later engines. It makes quite a bit of top end difference.
PJME https://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/Cylinde ... eving.html do the resleeving.
Dav57 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:46 pm I'm going to change the oil pump o ring seals and can anyone recommend what 2 stroke oil is best to use,i dont know whats in the tank at the moment only that its red :D and would it be best to empty it and clear the oil lines?
If you aren't sure, get rid of it and put a decent semi synthetic 2t oil in. When I emptied the oil tank on the Earwig, there was a ball bearing blocking the outlet! :shock:
Make sure the lines are bled through. The little O rings are available on ebay for a couple of quid for a hundred, or Suzuki price is about a quid apiece!
I used Putoline TT light but they've stopped making it, and I won't use anything with 'scooter' in the name on principle. :roll:
I'll start with Rock oil next time I get to the suppliers.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Dav57

Post by Dav57 »

Ok thanks Alan i'll put new oil in :)
Screenshot_20210117-204601_Video Player.jpg
I've tried to put a pic in so will see if its worked.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

As you probably know oil is a much discussed and sometimes controversial subject. At the end of the day its a personal decision. They all work just make sure its motorcycle oil and not for lawnmowers! :lol:
My view is Rock oil injector fully synthetic. I've always used it since it was released.
However when i have a rebore i empty and refil the system with basic mineral oil. Thats because fully sythetic is too protective for a new engine preventing the bores and rings to wear together. Mineral oil will allow this whilst running in. Then i empty and refil back to fully synthetic.
Also mineral oil can cover all your piston crowns with black soot and it doesn't burn as clean as modern synthetic. I recently removed the head off my 550 after 16000 miles and the crowns were just lightly covered. If you ever het chance look at a race engine that used Castrol R. They have to be stripped and cleaned regularly.
So thats my take on it but its your bike and your choice :D
One last point never mix mineral and synthetic as a condition called 'glooping' occurs which is similar to clotting which will prevent free flow.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Dav57 I've tried to put a pic in so will see if its worked.[/quote wrote:
Hi Dave, yep the pic worked okay ;) nice bike you have there, and I do like the seat 8-)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
slosher

Post by slosher »

Do agree there Barney that it's your bike and your choice :) What i have found over the years is back in the day the Mineral 2stroke oil would leave hard baked carbon crust almost everywhere piston crown's baffles etc,today's Mineral oil don't so i'm happy to use today's Mineral 2stroke oil. :D
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

slosher wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:18 pm Do agree there Barney that it's your bike and your choice :) What i have found over the years is back in the day the Mineral 2stroke oil would leave hard baked carbon crust almost everywhere piston crown's baffles etc,today's Mineral oil don't so i'm happy to use today's Mineral 2stroke oil. :D

+1 on mineral oil. Ive use it in all my two strokes and in my present T500. As Rock oil is just five minutes away from me I use their Rock oil road mineral. Good quality stuff that doesn’t smoke that much. I tried semi synthetic in my Kettle but it ran a rough as a very rough thing. Switched it back on mineral & it was fine. You pays yer money & makes yer choice 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Dav57

Post by Dav57 »

Ok thanks guys :)
After fitting new overlays on the clocks one of the glass fronts cracked :cry:
Have looked online but not come across any only the older clocks replacement which are perspex and not the correct diameter and thickness,has anyone come across the same problem or do i have to source an old clock and get the glass out of it? :?