GT380 Gear Change

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Woodpecker

GT380 Gear Change

Post by Woodpecker »

Hi all I have just completed a complete refurbishment of a 1972 J which has not been n the road formore than 20 years having never worked on one of these before I have had a few problems getting it running. The first outing on the road was very good, the engine was smooth and the bike felt great. The only issue (i hope) is the gear change. During the rebuild I checked the gears and all 6 engaged but on the road Changing down is difficult and requires up and down action on the change to get the gears. When static there is a lot of up and down play in the lever about 40mm. Any ideas of whats wrong?
malky

Re: GT380 Gear Change

Post by malky »

Did you make sure that the two legs on the gear shaft return spring were fitted each side of the pin - it's quite easy to dislodge it as the shaft is quite a loose fit
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

malky wrote:Did you make sure that the two legs on the gear shaft return spring were fitted each side of the pin - it's quite easy to dislodge it as the shaft is quite a loose fit
totally agree
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
Woodpecker

Post by Woodpecker »

Thanks I was thinking it may be the return spring not fitted correctly as there is no spring action on the gear pedal. So it looks like side cover off to investigate !
Woodpecker

Post by Woodpecker »

I have removed the side cover and the spring is located corectly but does not have much spring action. I have another set of gears from a later 380 and the spring is slightly different the fork ends closer together so I have fitted this. This is my only 380 and i'm not sure what to expect I thought the change would be more switch like.
Thanks for any advice Stu
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Woodpecker wrote:I have removed the side cover and the spring is located corectly but does not have much spring action. I have another set of gears from a later 380 and the spring is slightly different the fork ends closer together so I have fitted this. This is my only 380 and i'm not sure what to expect I thought the change would be more switch like.
Thanks for any advice Stu
I think it possibke that the spring isn't fitted on the gear shaft correctly. You have to cross over the fork ends as they are fitted over the locating peg so there is tension in them; Kev
Woodpecker

Post by Woodpecker »

Spot on Kev as you said the spring has to be pre tensioned when fitted to the change shaft, all gears appear much easier now! need some better weather for a road test. The Haynes manual is pretty poor on the 380/550.
Thanks Stu