Slow rev. Counter?

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Numbereight

Slow rev. Counter?

Post by Numbereight »

Hello all. I’ve just bought a Gt550 after 40 years of BMW’s. When I was in my teens I had a number of 2 strokes,including two gt380s.
This bike is an American import which I am running in. The bike seems to go well albeit I’ve only covered 60 miles so far.
When I am travelling at 50mph in top gear the Rev. Counter shows only two thousand revs. The bike will pull well from this speed but it seems like the Rev. Counter is underperforming.
Can anyone give me an idea what the revs.should be at 50 and 70 mph in top gear?.
I’m new to the forum but it looks like there’s a lot of good information around.
mizzytheman

Re: Slow rev. Counter?

Post by mizzytheman »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Not sure what the Rev counter should be reading at those speeds but it will Largely depend on whether you’re running on standard gearing. I’m sure one of our 550 enthusiasts will be along shortly to answer your question.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Hi and welcome to the forum :D
70 mph just under 6000 revs . But as muzzy says depends on teeth front and back sprocket. I have 16 and 42 at the moment.
Sounds like tacho cable could be sticking that would be my first thing to try. New cable.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
slosher

Post by slosher »

Welcome to the forum at 3500rpm my clock shows 50 after iv'e tapped the speedo to start moving :lol: :lol: running 15 front and 43 rear.A snagging inner will normally make the needle bounce about,the inner acts like a close lay spring when it snags and starts again it flicks the needle forward ;) +1 with Barney start with a smooth running cable.

Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
barney01

Post by barney01 »

My guess would be worn drive gear which is just inside the clutch cover where the cable screws in. When the gear dries out it wears in the middle and skips trying to catch up
Attachments
s-l400 (2).jpg
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Numbereight

Post by Numbereight »

Thanks for the prompt replies. The Rev. counter needle is running smoothly on the dial and the bike is accelerating as I expected it to,so the gearing seems ok but I will check the sprockets. The drive gear sounds like it could be the culprit,I’ll check it too. Thanks again,I’ve got a funny feeling this won’t be my last plea for help!.