Knocking T500K

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
atkinsok

Knocking T500K

Post by atkinsok »

Guys, having sorted out the none starting (see my other threads) and got the engine running, I find that as the engine warms up, it has a heavy rattle/knock at tick over. (no knock when cold). The noise disappears as the revs increase although does reappear during odd times whilst riding as the rev rise and fall. Once on the move, the bike performs rides well. The bike has just been re-bored and fitted with GT750 pistons 9less than 100 miles) . I am no expert but my guess is that this is "piston slap" or perhaps something loose in the engine = it appears to be from the middle of the left cylinder. thanks for any suggestions
Alan H

Re: Knocking T500K

Post by Alan H »

Some of the 500s tend to be a bit rattly, but shouldn't be after a rebuild. Perhaps the rebore was done slightly 'loose'. Maybe just something to monitor and enjoy the bike. Richard is the one to comment, he's got 2 of 'em!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

A couple of things, did you replace the rods and small end bearings? also does the noise disappear when you pull the clutch in at tickover?
As Alan says the T500 ain’t the quietest motors anyway but you shouldn’t get a knocking noise.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Proof that four strokes are over complicated