GT750J Serial Numbers

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Schlemil

GT750J Serial Numbers

Post by Schlemil »

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I just bought what I think is a 1972 Suzuki GT750 J. I found it on a local motorcycle junk yard. It is in pretty rough shape, no tank, no seat but otherwise it is all there. There is something that is confusing me trying to determine the exact year of the bike.

The Frame # is: GT750 - 25074
The Motor # is: GT750 - 25474

According to this website:
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/GT750_ ... ide/page-5 and
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/GT750_ ... de/page-61,
the 1972 Models start with serial number #: 10,001 and the 1973 Models start with serial #: 30,690.

So according to these numbers and the fact that it has the front drum brake I figured that it is the 1972 GT750 J Model.

What is confusing me is that paint color of the light housing and the fork ears that hold the front light as well as the radiator covers are in the blue of the 1973 Model. At least so it seems. The color may changed since it was sitting out in the elements for so long but it does not look like it is the 1972 Candy Jackal Blue. It seems darker.

Does anyone of you Kettle experts have any input for me?

Thanks,

Dirk
Filth

Re: GT750J Serial Numbers

Post by Filth »

Found the attachment - hope it helps
Attachments
Frame & Engine Numbers
Frame & Engine Numbers
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Schlemil wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:33 am Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I just bought what I think is a 1972 Suzuki GT750 J. I found it on a local motorcycle junk yard. It is in pretty rough shape, no tank, no seat but otherwise it is all there. There is something that is confusing me trying to determine the exact year of the bike.

The Frame # is: GT750 - 25074
The Motor # is: GT750 - 25474

According to this website:
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/GT750_ ... ide/page-5 and
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/GT750_ ... de/page-61,
the 1972 Models start with serial number #: 10,001 and the 1973 Models start with serial #: 30,690.

So according to these numbers and the fact that it has the front drum brake I figured that it is the 1972 GT750 J Model.

What is confusing me is that paint color of the light housing and the fork ears that hold the front light as well as the radiator covers are in the blue of the 1973 Model. At least so it seems. The color may changed since it was sitting out in the elements for so long but it does not look like it is the 1972 Candy Jackal Blue. It seems darker.

Does anyone of you Kettle experts have any input for me?

Thanks,

Dirk
Hi Dirk

Welcome to the forum.

You don't say where you are located so it's hard to tell if your market was different. however, I think it more likely that the parts have been repainted at some point. Kev
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Hi Dirk and welcome to the forum. +1 with Kev on the repaint but you also have to bear in mind that as Suzuki got got near to the end of a model run they would just borrow parts from the next years stock of the current stock was depleted.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Filth wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:02 pm Found the attachment - hope it helps
It's weird how Suzuki engine numbers steadily out-ran the frame number. WTF were they doing with the spare engines :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Flogged 'em to Eddie Crookes here and others elsewhere with frames that handled, no doubt......
In 1971, Crookes were selling T500 engines for £200.
Tried me best, but one wouldn't fit in me Manx pattern frame at the time. :cry:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated