crankcases

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
gustheammer

crankcases

Post by gustheammer »

are the crankcases painted on the 750 if so does anyone know the colour and is it a special paint ie heat resistant.
BAZ

Re: crankcases

Post by BAZ »

Yes they were painted but I don’t know the colour. This was special paint and very resistant to fuel and oil. I recommend you get the cases Soda blasted. This gives a finish very close to the paint on the bear alloy. And no worries about paint coming off. I recommend Sutton soda blasting Birmingham.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Ps you must must get rid of all the cleaning compound before building the Engine!!!
gustheammer

Post by gustheammer »

thanks for that baz my son is a car painter and he has said that once cleaned a etch primer and the paint they spray wheels with will do the trick i am a bit doughtful about the oil presence but heat wise he said it is ok when i get the cases apart i wil have a try and report back ps on the excellant dvd of the engine rebuild the chap mentions the notorios 13 bolt is this because it breaks off when removing? regards gustheammer
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

I don’t think bolt 13 breaks off but very important you put loads of sealer round it or oil will come out. Suzuki 3 bond is best stuff
Kettle-kid

Post by Kettle-kid »

Its because the bolt has an open thread in the gear box but as Baz says plenty of 3 bond with a copper washer and you will have no problem.
gustheammer

Post by gustheammer »

thanks lads
didge

Post by didge »

Funnily enough I've just asked the same question on our VJMC forum ( www.vjmc-tb.co.uk ) and apparently 5 wheel silver is good for the job in all respects, available in hairysole from Halfords, it's easy to use and cheap enough.
gustheammer

Post by gustheammer »

thanks didge
suzukiboss

Post by suzukiboss »

I allways use the clear cote that Mercedes Benz use on their cars. It gives a special hard surface and fuel/oil will not let the paint go off.