Project X

Post here if you are doing anything different
madforitkev

Re: Project X

Post by madforitkev »

Ha!

Hard to find a look that works without getting into much heavy machining.....

Bright ideas welcome (along with the stupid ones!!).. :D
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Throttle body fuel rail extenders all sorted.

Double O ring and a new output adapter for the pressure regulator.....
tb13.jpg
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Bit of a problem this week

Another dyno run and one of the spark plugs let go and a chunk of ceramic insulator dropped into the bore........
piston1.jpg
Its done some bore damage as well, so probably need a rebore.

I also seem to have an issue with my bore O ring's (main bore sealing O ring, not water jacket seals) degrading over time with heat damage. They are viton so should be Ok for the jacket temps but I think what is happening is I dont have a perfect metal/metal seal between the skull caps and the barrel liner and I am actually burning the rings.

I dont have any room to play with in that area and cant move the rings father out so I will do another flatness check on the head and caps. Only option might be to use hollow metal gas filled O rings (Wills rings), like they did on the old Hillman Imp race engines........

Good new the new alternator was fine and the swap out stingers work well.....

On to the next challenge.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Oh dear.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi Kevin
That's a shame, but what came first, spark plug failure, lean burn or pre-ignition, I doubt lean burn as piston looks like it has not been hot?
You need to have a real good look at the missing bit in the piston to see if it is heat/burnt or damaged from the spark plug might give some clues?
How was it going prior to the mishap?
Wish I could give better advice but you are pushing the envelope, keep it up :)
Burgs
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Definitely not getting hot. All plug colours prior to failure were OK. Air/fuel ratio on the dyno was OK. If anything middle cylinder was a little leaner.

Just one of those shit happens things.

I think I can rebore to a 71mm OK so that at least sorts that and the more I research Wills rings the more I like them! Good for massive temps. Pressurised stainless steel ring made by Trellaborg and I think a stock size will fit. Probably a billion pounds each though!! :shock: Should know next week.

Barrel packed for the rebore.

I was so close to putting the throttle bodies on and having the full fuel inject working........patience, patience.......learning all the time.. :lol:
teazer

Post by teazer »

Looks like it was a freak mechanical damage but that mode of failure is rare. Are you sure that it wasn't detonation? The piston looks clean enough but I'd get a knock detector and sensor. I am about to hook up a 2 channel system to my drag bike. Plex are arguably the best but outside my budget (my allowance/pocket money is not overly generous).
I want to say that mine was from Knock Tek. It came as a 2 channel with link to ECU and remote LED and appears to be hand assembled in England.https://www.ms2tuning.com/products.html. That's the one.

We all have sealing issues with inserts. One approach is to make the flush and use a head gasket. BDK do a nice O ring job on the barrels to help it all seal. Mine stand above teh head surface and use an O ring and a gasket with oversize bores but it's hard to get the right crush. Start with say .001" extra height on the inserts so the head presses on them first. If the O rings hold and gasket leaks to the outside, reduce the height to half a thou
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi Kev
Getting withdrawal systems, hope all is going well and you are moving along with your ambitious project? :D

Burgs
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Burgs
I have been away for a couple of weeks....

Current progress is;

Rebore done. Fair bit of damage to the bore but all good now.

I looked at the Wills rings options basically because I believe the O ring option puts the rings so close to the bore to avoid the water jacket that the inside of the rings was actually burning over time then letting go.

So Trellaborg Wills rings are bloody expensive! Time to make my own :D
wills rings.jpg
I made a forming/brazing tool to jig them up. I copied the commercial design and have 6 small holes on the inside edge so that gas enters under compression, making the seal better, especially at high revs.

I used 3.2mm O/D boiler grade copper because according to the Trellaborg data it uses a very similar groove size to an O ring, so should 'compress' enough.

The pic above is of the first test. Brazing wasn't great and the O/D is slightly off nominal. Result is I have a slight leak.

Version 2 should be this week. If I have the dims right I should be able to still get enough water jacket O ring seal as well.

Stay tuned......
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi Kevin
Those rings sound interesting, how do they go on aluminum in the long term with expansion and retraction?
Aluminum is a good high strength bearing when it has a lubricating wedge of oil but dry?
Not sure here as I have no experience, would be good on cast iron, or steel I think.

Burgs