Project X

Post here if you are doing anything different
madforitkev

Re: Project X

Post by madforitkev »

And here's the finished clock domes.
IMG-3101.jpg
I couldn't use the original Bandit plastic ones (and they were a bit naff anyway). So I machined some from solid billet. The wall is mostly 2 mm thick so I threw more metal away than I kept!!

Bit of polishing and hey presto.....

Latest on the exhausts is because the bend radius is so small near the stingers, I had to but some special small rollers and have reduced the exhaust metal thickness to 1.2mm so the rollers can cope. So cones are all cut and rolled. Hopefully the welding will be done in a week or so.

I think I mentioned I am going to do one more mod on the porting and raise the transfers another 3mm, but will leave that for the strip and paint session.
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Been a bit quiet for a while......which is understanding given world affairs....

Exhausts have taken a while but......

Progress looms. First tack weld of the pipes.
IMG-3476.jpg
Tricky old bend to avoid the rearsets, arm and paddock stand and to keep the tuned length!!
IMG-34772.jpg
In the first pic, I designed some removable end cans. They have a carbon over sleeve (not shown), the end tube will get shorter.

Header pipes are bent tubes so no welds there.

All stainless.

Nearly ready to take it all apart again. Deep joy.....Actually its better than the day job :D
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

At last, exhausts!!!
IMG-3556.jpg
IMG-3557.jpg
IMG-3558.jpg
IMG-3559.jpg
IMG-3560.jpg
The fittings on the end take the slide on end cans. Stainless again with carbon over tubes.

Will run it for a bit more and tweak the carbs a bit then its take it all apart again and do the pretties!! :D

Oh and I had this silly idea of adding a fuel injection system and dropping the carbs last night........standby!!
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

I wanted to build my own end cans so came up with this design.
IMG-3569.jpg
IMG-3570.jpg
IMG-3571.jpg
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

That exhaust system looks a treat Kev, well done mate 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
stupot

Post by stupot »

Ive loved reading your journey , Its great that youve shared it all on here.
everyones a winner
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

So I cant stop thinking about fuel injection now.

I am fed up with carbs and wouldn't it be nice to tweak the performance via a PC?

2 stroke Dirt bikes are starting to use EFI with varying success. I race enduros so have seen systems of varying performance and reliability (reliability being the key word as lubrication seems to be an issue).

My understanding is there are two options;
1. Direct injection - no good for a 2 stroke as it squirts high pressure petrol directly above a closed transfer port without lubrication (and premix doesn't work well at high loads as I understand, along with the issue of bottom end lubrication)
2. Indirect - using air throttle body with a variable low pressure fuel injector on the normal inlet port

So item 2 looks promising and the old kettle mechanical oil pump will mean my oiling issues are dealt with.

I would also like to use throttle by wire (3 carbs slide springs makes my wrist ache) and I was looking at my Triumph Tiger 1200 system. As a module the throttle body of the Tiger is pretty neat. Throttle sensor, injectors and fly by wire and about the right butterfly size.

So what else do I need?

Basically it is all about getting the optimal air/fuel ratio which on a normal petrol is 14.7:1 but this is noted to vary a bit on a 2 stroke to closer to 12:1 I believe?

If I want to do live adjustments I think the list is;

Lambda (oxygen sensor) in exhaust (oiling will be an issue but I may be able to map the system using the Lambda then record exhaust gas temps against the maps and use an exhaust gas temp probe instead of the lambda while running as the map input).
MAF sensor (mass air flow on input)
Throttle body (air butterfly with fuel injectors) with position sensor
Fuel pump
Air inlet ambient temp/pressure sensor and maybe a humidity sensor to define the density of the incoming air
Coolant temp sensor
Crank position sensor
ECU. I have been looking at the Megasquirt DIY ECU's and they look pretty good.

I think that's it?

Anyone got any better ideas? I know I must be missing something......
stupot

Post by stupot »

I think your defo missing something :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL.
everyones a winner
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Doesn't the trumpet have a 3-1 exhaust? You'd need sensors in each pipe to monitor temp and stoichometric ratios, and you'd need extra ecu inputs for each, and I doubt they are available on a 'standard' bike ecu. (I used to program plc computers in a couple of past lives!)
You could always use staged solenoid opening as each port opened, but that would need steppers on the solenoids, unless you use solenoids that operated on a % value of input for position.
Best of luck with that lot bud. Just use Wal Phiips injectors - what could possibly go wrong?
I tried one on a heavily modded Ariel Arrow many years ago and never did get it to start and run right. One or t'other but never both.
Interesting idea though.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

The naive thinking is the key point is the air/fuel ratio.

If I can hit the magic stoichiometric air/fuel ratio (AFR) which in theory is 14.7:1 for petrol then I have a good burn and if I can make that work (injection timing, ign timing, air mas etc.) for one cylinder then it should be duplication, so I just need a 3 channel ECU.

You can buy wide band Lambda sensors and AFR gauges that combined should get me close to working out the AFR and I only need one in one exhaust accepting that there will be small changes between cylinders.

Obviously loads of other things to work out especially with injection timing and air mass but what else have I got to do in the long winter evenings?

Its got to be worth a try.

:D :D