Project X

Post here if you are doing anything different
madforitkev

Re: Project X

Post by madforitkev »

Thanks guys. Yep definitely getting there and I am sticking with carbs until the HP rises a bit!

Probably back on the dyno in Feb.
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Last few days have been fun....hunting for more power.

I think I have messed up my CR calcs a bit and my squish heads are wrong. :cry:

Luckily I made them removable!! :D to be able to tune them.

Printing a test one tomorrow then back to the machineshop.

As a slight aside I got the fly by wire throttles working tonight....
FBW.jpg
Triumph Tiger 1200 and the small circuit on the right is a neat Pololu H bridge motor driver. It comes with some good setup software and after a bit of head scratching, I have the makings of a system.....

Anyway, back to the hunt for power again..programmable ignition next...
teazer

Post by teazer »

Talk about taking it to the next level. Fly by wire with what looks like cruise control. Impressive.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

teazer wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:12 pm Talk about taking it to the next level. Fly by wire with what looks like cruise control. Impressive.
Naaah, not cruise control - turbo boost control!! :shock: :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Oooh Turbo's!! Too far? Problem is I would need a supercharger to drive the turbo charger as far as I understand (2 stroke diesel?).

Maybe not then. Don't think I can squeeze any more real estate in. :D

Did some compression/head volume testing after the dyno and I am a bit high on volume. I need to get down to around 26cc so it means new squish heads. Luckily they are designed as a quick change item (see earlier post), so I will get another set done over Xmas.

My ignition timing plate is on the way from Astrax (thanks Ian) so getting the speeduino running is the next task.
soeduinio.jpg
soeduinio.jpg (12.31 KiB) Viewed 497 times
With this done and the new heads I should get closer to the target horses...... :twisted:
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Well I must have been a good boy! Look what Santa delivered.....
speedysetup.jpg
Bottom right corner is the speeduino ECU with the Speedysim engine simulator plugged in (the bit with the control pots on).

On screen is the Tunerstudio setup software.

Half way up on the left near the scope probe and the red wire is the ignition module.

Basically the speedysim simulates the crank signal (36-1 in my case). Tunerstudio is then setup to recognise that and provide 3 ignition circuits and 3 injector circuits (lots of setup options as it is mostly designed for cars but after a bit of digging the 2 stroke bits are in there somewhere).

The ignition circuits are low current so need to feed to the ignition module to make them high current to drive the coils. The other end of the red wire is a little yellow LED simulating coil 1 firing!!

So a few more bits of machining around the crank wheel and its back to the dyno with new squish heads (corrected CR) and programmable ignition.

The next stage is strip the barrels and work out where to put the injectors and MAP (crankcase pressure) sensor. Ideally the injectors will squirt across the transfers and although 2 stroke MAP's dont work like a 4 stroke would because of the pressure waves, there is a way to generate a good pseudo (averaged) MAP which will help smooth the running.

Getting past the waterjacket with the injectors locations will be the fun bit but I think there is room.

Finally finished the wiring diagram over a few mince pies and the final main computer PCB is done as well now. I need more time off!!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Excellent progress.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif (2.32 KiB) Viewed 448 times
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi Kev
What a good Christmas present :) looking forward to your build and mainly the fuel injection side.
I have a few projects I am working on might need to live to 150 but I can dream, one of those is a T150 V Triumph cafe racer that I want to fit fuel injection to, I have bought a later model 3 cylinder Triumph fuel injection system for it, but I also have two GT750 Ls, one that is original build and the other that I want to redo as a cafe racer sort of, not to the extent that you are going to but just some minor changes such as fuel injection and some of the modifications to the engine to raise power to around 80/90 HP range, but still remain ridable.
I see a link through to the guys over the ditch to me (NZ) who have done an amazing amount of work, spent 3 hours reading through the forum and still haven't got to the end, but I do feel that a GT750 engine for a road bike could easily head towards 100 BHP range with fuel injection and other modifications to the engine.

Anyway Happy New year, and I will be looking forward to your progress, not putting any pressure on you though :D

Burgs
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

I think I've got it all planned now.

I've gone through all the Tunerstudio and Megalog viewer ECU software and worked out how to program the injection and ignition (hopefully). Nice thing is if it isnt right its a fast fix via a USB cable. I can even datalog while I ride and tweak when I get home! Gotta love science (do I hear a groan from the Luddites out there?).

So fuel injection will be port injection (under the pistons). This will be fun with the water jackets and I need to get another set of old barrels to hack for 'development' purposes (anyone got any dead one laying around?).

At my rev peak I should be able to run standard Alpha N (throttle position Vs RPM) mapping generation but I have seen some good work on the KiwiBiker forum on high revving 2 strokes where to get them stable they needed to also use a MAP sensor (manifold pressure). Obviously this doesnt work great on a 2 stroke due to the changing pressure waves but they created a pseduo (averaged) MAP control system which seems to work well, so I will also put a MAP port into the cases just in case.

Plan is;

1. Machine shop this week for the final crank timing wheels tweak
2. Run the bike on carbs with new programmable ignition
3. Fit new higher CR squish heads
4. Back to dyno
5. Hack old set of barrels to sort injection and MAP sensor positions
6. Machine working barrels to take injection system
7. Fit fly by wire throttle bodies
8. Back to dyno
9. Panic because I screwed something up. Brew, rethink. Fix. Smile.
10. Strip, paint, rebuild ride........

Piece of p**s. Its amazing what a few days off eating turkey will do for you.....
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Couple of pics of the new (unpolished) bars with the Triumph Tiger (FBW throttle) controls fitted.

I needed to get the damper in as well so slightly tricky.....

Final fit will shorten them a bit but good enough for now.
bars1 (2).JPG
bars2 (2).JPG