Project X

Post here if you are doing anything different
PaulD738

Re: Project X

Post by PaulD738 »

Cold seizures where a fact of life with early racing two strokes, TD2 and TD3 Yamaha twins where famous for it if not warmed up properly before the race. Don't ask :oops:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
teazer

Post by teazer »

And they still do in vintage racing if not warmed up properly.

But have you seen a drag race H2 Kawasaki. Barely warmed up followed by flat out for 8-10 seconds, then ignored for a while as they try to shed heat. Wicked but seems to work.
Last edited by teazer on Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Fastasfakis love loose fit pistons.....
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Going down the fuel injected route was always going to generate a power issue which I would have to address at some point.

The lovely old Kettle alternator pumps out about 280 watts. Sadly not enough with some added safety.

So the plan is to graft in a bigger alternator, hopefully without too much engineering.

Ducati for a while now have made a nice, compact high output alternator (530 watts) and its a bit simpler as its is only a permanent magnet one and doesn't need a field coil to be excited to work (unlike me).
alt4.jpg
At first glance it seems to fit.
alt3.jpg
Basically I need the heavy magnet thingy on the spinney bit and the light coil bit in the casing.

But.......there has to be enough room in the casing for all of it because the heavy bit wont fit (and spin) inside the crank casing (pretty much the same as the existing alternator).

Few hours of CAD later and I have a simple plate that fits inside the casing and bolts to the coil stator assembly and with it roughly in place it seems I have enough depth! :D :D Will get that welded in.
alt2.jpg
alt1.jpg
Next step is to design an adapter for the end of the crank that will bolt to the rotor. Next weeks job......... :lol:
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
garry55

Post by garry55 »

530 Watts - my alternator conversion only kicks out 150 !

But that should be enough for my primitive electrics with no starter motor (he said, hopefully). :D
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
teazer

Post by teazer »

Try a GSXR alternator. You will need a crankshaft nose adapter and an adapter to bolt the gsxr outer cover to GT crankcases.

The only potential issue is that the rotor is much larger diameter and may flex the crank end. If you look at say a snowmobile crank, you will usually see a much thicker crank end and the end bearing is typically double row.
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

The weight of the Ducati rotor is very similar to the standard kettle rotor so I think bearings will be good......

I've designed the adapter plates now, so I just need to final tolerance checks in the old (sectioned) alternator cover and I think I am good :D

The stator plate will need to be welded in to the casing and finite alignment might be a bit of an issue because the casing can be fitted to the crank casings with a bit of movement due the tolerance around the casing screws, so I might need alignment pins (not much stator/rotor clearance) but that should be easy enough.

Back to the machine shop.......
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Bit more messing about while I wait for alternator mounts.

Sorted the new front grille today (laser cut).
new grille.jpg
I've also done a few more road runs and I'm happy with the temperature now (80-82C) but I will still make the air ducts just because I can! Designs all done and cut and with the welders.

I hope to get the Android mobile ECU logger working this week. I am trying MSDroid ECU logging software. Looks pretty useful if I can get the interface to work. This will allow me to do runs for real and record the data.
msdroid.jpg
msdroid.jpg (10.96 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
Dyno again next Thursday. :D
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

I was trying to work out how to tidy up the front and hide the headlight mount/brake manifold and regulator.

I came across a bit of nose fairing from a GSX 750.

Clearly not much good as is and I wanted to be able to route the two front brake hoses through it as well while hiding the regulator (the new Ducati one will be bolted to the underside of the steering yoke).

First step was to superglue some carefully fettled ali side plates on....... followed by carbon and gel coat for support.
old lower carbon fairing.jpg
Then a bit of carbon wrap.......
lower carbon fairing.jpg
It will mount to the underside of the headlight mount and be 'suspended' and the two brake hoses pass through grommets in the side.

Not to shabby.....That one has been bugging me for ages.. :lol:
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

The MSDroid ECU logger works pretty well.

It is a free android (upgraded version is £12 I think).

You need an android that support OTG serial port and an OTG/USB cable or a bluetooth module on the ECU (speeduino can take a HC-06 BT module).

Had a bit of a disastrous dyno day. Failing dyno sensors bla, bla bla.

Also seem to be pulling a lot of amps on high speed runs and I am not sure why. That blew a fuse and upset the ECU on the last run.

The last run (of 6 with all the dyno hassles) also shook the plugs loose which screwed the run.

So start again! More bleeding ears!

Can't believe the plugs weren't tight enough and it doesn't seem to vibrate much. Torque setting needed I think ! :shock:

Alternator parts are in so will post that later.