Project X

Post here if you are doing anything different
garry55

Re: Project X

Post by garry55 »

Of the 3 colours, the blue gets my vote. But darker - like the darkest of the 3 Suzuki corporate blue's.
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Kinds like??
blue.jpg
blue.jpg (19.27 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

First dyno runs yesterday.

Carbs(TM36's) and fixed ignition curve.

Main point was to try to dial the carbs in better and see what the exhaust is doing, oh and to see if it blew up!!
first dyno.jpg
I used a guy called James at Krazy Kats tuning in Bedford. Great bloke and very knowledgeable and not expensive either :D

Only got three real runs in (sample below) and maxed out at around 70HP at the rear wheel at 50 ft lbs of torque so she has a way to go yet.
firtsdyno graph.JPG

Lessons learned;
1. Water pump is too fast (its electric) and I am not getting enough cooling dwell time in the radiator. I was going to make that variable anyway in the computer system so will play with a rheostat for now to work out the optimums
2. Need the programmable ignition (waiting for Santa Claus) for the bits to program and DIY in
3. Exhaust headers might be a bit fat. Not sure I am getting enough of a squirt out to get the pressure wave going. Looking at older RM250's they run a much smaller diameter header and have very efficient dyno results. I've basically got three of those so will test run some tapered inserts. I dont want to mess with the heads anymore because of the water jacket but will see if anything changed with a bit of focused flow. James did a lot of work on making very efficient and reliable Banshee engines and it was his suggestion, so will give it a go.
4. Can probably go one down on the carb Mains again when the above is fixed (currently running 220's)

You would not believe the noise!!!

Getting there.........
garry55

Post by garry55 »

A good start. The other 50bhp is in there - somewhere!
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
garry55

Post by garry55 »

madforitkev wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:08 pm Kinds like??

blue.jpg
sort of - I was thinking more the darker blue used on old Gixxers and RG250's.
Garry.

madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

50HP.....that would be nice!!

If I make 90 plus and reliable I will be very happy.

Did a road run today. Its very smooth and you can feel the band cut in nicely. Engines running at about 55C but I will still play with pump speed a bit.

Tomorrow is the start of the EFI now. Ignition first.

I think I am going cobalt blue over black.....but what do I know, I cant even colour match a bathroom (apparently).
candyblueblack.jpg
Don't know how the bike pic got here and I cant delete it now!!!
Attachments
Gixer.jpg
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

While I am waiting for EFI bits to turn up I thought I would look at the bars again.

I don't really like the old testicle crunching clip-on's and couldn't find a pair I liked on line. Oh, plus did I mention the steering damper is in the way :o
Back to the old plumbing skills (or lack there off because the soldering is bloody awful, my excuse is I bought some new flux from B&Q and it is crap - anyway back to the story).

So I decided on straights but need some strength designed in to go round the damper. This is what I came up with......
bars1.jpg
I will get them made from stainless and the finished thing have the curve angled down a bit to improve instrument cluster (indicators etc.) readability.

They are a bit wide at the moment due to a clash with the fork adjusters and the master cylinders but I can fix that, so they will end up narrower.

Also tried the Triumph Tiger switch gear today, mainly because I have a fly by wire throttle in progress and I need a few extra control switches for the computers.
bars3.jpg
The smart ones amongst you will notice the natty dual handle bar array in the photo's. No I don't have 4 arms or a back seat driver (she couldn't hear me anyway with these pipes!), I was just trying to get a comparison view, although saying that maybe dual control is a thing for the future?!
teazer

Post by teazer »

The good news is that peak power is right where it was designed to be, so that's a start. But that dip should not be there and we're missing a few horses. :? Actually the pipe design shows a slight torque dip but on the dyno, the power fails to rise the way it should. I suspect it's the inlet reeds that are constraining it, but let's work through the data and see.

The motor is making a lot more HP than the stock 48-52 at the rear wheel

Time to round up those missing ponies.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Looks like you're on the right way forward.
Great progress.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi
Great project, if it was me I would go for the 100 HP with carbies first and then fuel injection, make too many changes and you get lost in where you are up too.
Make one change at a time :) count the result and move on, making several changes at once can be very confusing as you do not know which one had the desired result.
For on the road testing find a steep hill and use it as cheap dyno, time and speeds, read Tuning for Speed, old but still relevant.
There is also a lot of information on how to make the GT750 go on the internet and a hundred plus HP is relatively easily obtained, so no need to reinvent the wheel to some extent, all be it, you need to make it quite to comply with noise regulations at the same time.
There is a lot of information on two stroke jet skis and snow thing's regarding fuel injection, those things knock out big HP and comply with noise and pollution regulations.
My little TR250 is absolutely gutless until you hear the the expansion chambers start to work from the tail pipe, you hear the noise run back up to the cylinder head then back again, through the expansion chambers then all hell breaks loose, so to me this tells me the exhaust system in a two stroke has to be right regardless, if it is a racing engine or a road bike. When on the noise the issue with a racing engine is having the ability to keep it there, with a road bike it has to be different finding that happy medium might be hard :?: .
Looking forward to your progress and must say I am impressed with your work so far.
Burgs