Mikuni TM 34-2 flat slide carb

Post here if you are doing anything different
twittemann

Mikuni TM 34-2 flat slide carb

Post by twittemann »

Hello everyone. My name is Todd. I am new to this group and have had several GT750s. I am excited to share anything I may have learned through my experience trying to create a special Buffalo. I have a lot of questions/ideas and few answers or solutions.

The most recent involves after market carbs. I have a set of 34mm Mikuni TMs. They come with some preset jetting that the bike doesn't seem to like.

The bike is stock bored !st over with OEM 1st over pistons. Dave Swarbrick pipes and Newtronics ignition. pod style air filters. Bill Bune rebuilt crankshaft and all new seals.

It will almost start and then seems to be fouling the plugs. The TM 34 has an enricher circuit with a starter jet. I have no idea where to start with this. I think it had 50s that doesnt seem to work. Bike has good compression also.

Thanks for any help. Glad to be here.
teazer

Re: Mikuni TM 34-2 flat slide carb

Post by teazer »

Careful, or the anoracks will be around to start counting rivets.

TM34 - great choice but not so easy to jet right. The enriching circuit is the "choke" and it's a fixed size jet that I have never heard of anyone needing to try to replace.

Pilot jet will probably need to be a little smaller that #50. That's what came in a set of TM32's I have here, but I'd try 45's or even 40s. They are normal VM22/210 slow jets. Do not try to fit the jets from BS40 OEM carbs. They look similar but they are very different.

Are the needle jets replaceable or cast in place? and if removable, what series and size are they and what needles and main jets did they come with? Some TMX34s came with fixed Q-8 needle jets but TM34s should have #389 series probably Q-6. I'd guess that they need to go down to maybe Q-0 and the needle will be the deciding factor for midrange and you may have to try a few to get that right. Mains, I'd guess #280 to start with and then when you get it to idle and pick up OK it's time for the dyno. What altitude are you at and is there a dynojet center close to you?

We use Valley Motors in Beecher IL and Brian there really knows how to get a bike dialled in. We had a highly modified RD350 in there recently with all new jets and one side just ran super lean and ended up with one size larger pilot jet compared to the other side to get both running the same Air:fuel rates.

Swarbrick make nice pipes. I haven't run Dave's TR750 spec pipes but loved his TZ pipes that we ran on a couple of different bikes. Just make sure that the stinger is reinforced before the muffler snaps off as we did once or twice on a TZ350.