T575 Steam Triple

Post here if you are doing anything different
garry55

T575 Steam Triple

Post by garry55 »

Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
garry55

Re: T575 Steam Triple

Post by garry55 »

standing on it's own 2 feet......................

Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Gary

Oooh! I like the way the tubular frame looks! Great job.

How did you get the rear engine mounts to work with the arm support. I had to make up a block and plate to graft the VFR ones together.

That front engine mount is nice as well. I'm hoping I wont need one of those but the kettle lump is damm heavy so we'll see.

Nice to see someone else getting inventive!

Kev
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Kev
the engine sits 3mm in front of the swing arm, so doesn't affect the pivot point.
I made a pair of eccentric top / rear mounts that allowed me to move the engine up / down and forward / backwards so I could sit the motor in the right place to align with the spindle centres and get the chain alignment correct.
As the Triumph uses it's engine as a stressed member, I had to make solid mounts for the motor and have added some solid aluminium bar cross-braces to retain the lateral stability of the frame.
Front engine mounts are modified Bandit 1200 front engine plates, welded to the barrel.

Good to see you are back on with Project X - my XR11/73 project is languishing unloved (at the moment) in a container.
Garry.

PhilGT750

Post by PhilGT750 »

Very nice, I've had two Speed Triples, handle bl**dy lovely.

I'm about to start my own project, I have a Yamaha R1 rolling chassis to play with.
Phil
[img]file:///C:/Users/Samm/Desktop/PXL_20220319_060304440.jpg[/img]
garry55

Post by garry55 »

As I am not running the electric starter motor option for the Steam Trip, it means I can run a much smaller (lighter) battery.........

Triumph T595 on the left, RGV250 on the right.

There was nowhere to fit the RGV in the T595's battery compartment, so I purchased a VJ21 RGV250 battery box............

and set about cutting off all the mountings...........

leaving only the tabs for the securing strap to attach to. Snug fit...........

Then I drilled the floor of the T595 battery compartment to accept a pair of rubber mounts........

and here it is, bolted in place and looking lost...........

This modification allowed me to cut 1" off the top of the T595's battery compartment to allow the Aprilia RS125 2T oil tank to fit above.
Garry.

garry55

Post by garry55 »

drilling and filing one of the original T595 fairing / mirror support arms.

Garry.

garry55

Post by garry55 »

both modified mirror mounts fitted and my 3rd attempt at modifying a T595 nose fairing to suit..............

Garry.

garry55

Post by garry55 »

sorting the Steam Trip's electrics........

3 out of 6 so far.............

Oil warning light is for 2T oil tank level. Unused "Engine Malfunction" light (at the bottom) has been wired-in as a side stand warning light, but I am awaiting the relay for it to be delivered.

The redundant electric starter motor button has been wired-in as a check function for the 2T oil tank warning light.
Garry.

madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Gary

Isn't wiring fun!

I have decided to 'Arduino' my project X bike. It wont reduce any cabling much but it will mean I can 'fiddle' in software.

I've pretty much got all the basics working;

Electronic speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge, temp gauge, gear indicator, various other belles and whistles and a nice OLED display with a Bluetooth/Android security lock. Obviously I havent got the frame finished or engine started yet but its hard not to tinker ahead.....

great job with teh Steam engine! Cant wait to meet you both.....

Kev
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!