X750h!

Post here if you are doing anything different
madforitkev

Re: X750h!

Post by madforitkev »

I can. Its just a power issue. With all the electrical stuff I have going on (fuel pump,throttle bodies etc. etc.) I may be already over the Kettle alternator specs with the fans running full tilt.

I can get round it by fitting a Ducatti 998 alternator but a simple small aux rad might be best.

Just need to confirm ideal temp for running......65c seems to be the accepted norm for most 2 stroke tuning forums?
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
garry55

Post by garry55 »

General consensus of opinion on the RGV 250 forum is that the ideal operating temp should be 60 degrees.

I have plumbed 2 cold air feed tubes from the headstock that will connect to a shroud that fits over the radiators top face and the fan underneath will pull it through (if needed).
Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
teazer

Post by teazer »

Anything in that general range of 60-65 will be fine. If it rises to 70 or so it's still OK for power. Under adverse conditions in traffic don't be surprised or alarmed if it rises to 100 C, Under pressure that's still not boiling as long as it doesn't stay there or go there normally.
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Thanks guys (sorry to steal the thread). Good to know. I am trying an Engine Ice coolant test tomorrow and if that doesnt make much difference I will go with the small rad hidden up front.

Good news is all the head fixes around the O rings seem to be holding!

Cheers
madforitkev

Post by madforitkev »

Engine Ice test only made a couple of degrees difference.

Its still mid 70's after a bit of a thrashing.

Running both cooling fans helps but I think I either need to duct some air back to the radiator more or hide a small ancillary up front.

I've just bought an Aprilla Tuareg 125 oil cooler which might do the trick :D

Will post back on my thread from now on.
garry55

Post by garry55 »

It's winter.
And I'm bored.
I have been progressing the Steam Triple project to the point where I am now awaiting delivery of more parts, so I have been giving some thought as to where I want to go with this project, and have decided to continue with it, but taking a slightly different route.
Originally, the plan was to use a GT750 motor but, try as I might, I cannot find anywhere to hide a radiator, something that would ruin the "purity" of the X75's clean and uncluttered design.
I had thought of using an oil cooler (which the X75 does have as standard), converted to take water instead of oil, but doubt it would be able to cool the water as there would be little residency in it for it to cool sufficiently.
So I have taken the decision to try and convert the GT750 to be an air-cooled triple. This resolves the radiator problem, but throws up a whole lot more.
I dug out a spare, good barrel and after careful inspection have opened up sections of the front of the barrel to allow air to travel around the water chamber routing and added some "exhaust" ports in the back of the barrel to expel the warm air.
Here's where the T750 project is now.................

Tools of the trade!

Garry.

Inside every standard Kettle is a bloody good engine crying for help............... :D
teazer

Post by teazer »

Your projects let me know that I still have some grasp on reality. In fact I feel almost boringly normal and unadventurous by comparison.

Another possibility if you want an air cooled triple is to go with a Kawasaki motor and if you want a GT750 bottom end, I believe that it's possible with a fat lift plate to fit an H2 top end to a GT bottom end. Not sure how you twist the transfers, but with a 30mm or so lift plate it should be possible.
750ynot

Post by 750ynot »

Wow! don't know how I missed this, I have ordered some popcorn ready for the next instalment :D

I wonder if its possible to do what you are trying to ?

would some small electric fans strategically placed help, just a thought.
Tony
garry55

Post by garry55 »

Now with an (almost) matching cylinder head..............

Still a lot of tidying up to do when the flexi drive attachment arrives for my Dremel.
Garry.

garry55

Post by garry55 »

750ynot wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:13 pm Wow! don't know how I missed this, I have ordered some popcorn ready for the next instalment :D

I wonder if its possible to do what you are trying to ?

I won't know until it's finished, but worth a try.

would some small electric fans strategically placed help, just a thought.

I am trying to avoid adding extra cooling devices as everything is on show on the finished bike. Nowhere to hide anything. Hence no radiator.

Garry.