PROJECT TETANUS

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
teazer

Re: PROJECT TETANUS

Post by teazer »

How are you doing with that white stuff falling out of the sky? When I lived in VIC, it snowed once in about 20 years and we all ran out to see it it. Now I live in the US, let's just say it looks nice with the trees all white, but the novelty has worn off.

Those gauges look really nice. How did you re crimp the stainless bands though. I have restored a couple of sets and that part I always make a mess of. I think I need to make a simple jig.

That wheel truing jig is nice. I have a heavy cast iron framed professional jig and to be honest, yours looks much better. Time to recycle the old one and make a new one I think.
rodent

Post by rodent »

It snowed 2 weeks ago for the second time in the 22years that i've lived in the house I'm in...snow's overated.

I did the crimp rings by hand, I did make a couple of large circles cut into compactlaminate but didn't use.

Just a heads up for anyone buying crimp rings from Cb750faces, they're made of aluminium and not stainless(It doesn't say on the website).
rodent

Post by rodent »

Pvc/Vinyl tubing turned up so hopefully get the gauge wiring finished up this weekend.

rodent

Post by rodent »

For anyone who cares..... :)

I boiled some rubber parts today in a mix of Wintergreen oil and water, and the results were mixed.

Having a slight background in the "rubber" industry, I found that parts that had a higher percentage of rubber benefited more from this procedure.
Items that had a higher "clay" percentage were more prone to swelling or break down :(

Your mileage may vary :)
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Interesting you boiled it in water. First time i've heard that method. I have had some success with soaking items for a few days in wintergreen oil and rubbing alcohol :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
rodent

Post by rodent »

The only thing I'm soaking in alcohol here is me, I don't be wasting it on rubber parts :D

I did also soak some rubber parts in a mix of xylene and wintergreen as suggested on another website, all it did was swell the part up(months ago) and to this day it's still over sized.

A day later and the rubbers for my kickstart and gear lever are still reasonably soft :D
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

There is a number of motorcycle forums which recommends boiling rubber parts in Wintergreen oil but the results seem to be varied. Try using Acetone but don’t leave the parts in for more than a couple of hours.
rodent

Post by rodent »

mizzytheman wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:33 am There is a number of motorcycle forums which recommends boiling rubber parts in Wintergreen oil but the results seem to be varied. Try using Acetone but don’t leave the parts in for more than a couple of hours.
Thanks for the tip 8-)

Acetone alone, or mixed with Wintergreen oil?
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

rodent wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:25 am
mizzytheman wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:33 am There is a number of motorcycle forums which recommends boiling rubber parts in Wintergreen oil but the results seem to be varied. Try using Acetone but don’t leave the parts in for more than a couple of hours.
Thanks for the tip 8-)

Acetone alone, or mixed with Wintergreen oil?
Just acetone
rodent

Post by rodent »

maj750 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:07 pm Quick search gave a promising result in Melb with C&C in Thomastown, but also going to check with a few mates who have been into the Waterbottles for years for there thoughts
Update OP, I had C&C do my crank(and other gear) and I'll be picking it up tomorrow :D Price was very reasonable 8-)

Chris did say that he has a rebuilt crank that is ready to go, he also said he would sell outright or look at an exchange.