Sky's restoration begins...

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Skyguyz

It looks like a bike...Sort of

Post by Skyguyz »

*Pix with tank, seat and side covers on is mock-up only.

The engine is in and I've got to say it was not easy but most of use have been through that and can relate. The good news is that after a rough hook-up of the electrical system, there is good spark to all 3 cylinders. The break-in oil is in and no leaks. The kick starter is on and it kicks through with ease. Rear chain is on as well as the chain guard. The Delkavic exhaust system is in place after a bit of fiddle this and that and looks good. I tried to use the OEM pipes but the right outside one is damaged and so far two different metal shops say it cannot be fixed. I will still try to get it fixed proper. The ones on Ebay are all of not reusable quality but for now, the Delkavics will do.

The carbs as well as the water system get hooked up; next, (*Throttle cable on first!) The clocks are being done by myself and should be done soon. It is a very "Sanitary construction."

I have spark!!!

Sky

Peter

Re: Sky's restoration begins...

Post by Peter »

Super work! You don’t hang about! That bike went together in no time
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I’ve said it before but it’s worth repeating
JUST STUNNING 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
zapo

Post by zapo »

Great thread, these rebuilds are seldom straightforward but that's the fun of it........that and the satisfaction on first start up.
I had two stroke's and survived.
Skyguyz

It's done.

Post by Skyguyz »

After a few setbacks with piston issues, etc, I finally have the kettle where it is done. It starts, idles and revs fine. The clutch, brakes, suspension all work great. I will do a little fine tuning here and there and correct some small things but it came out a lot better than I expected. Everything on the bike works as it should and so far has presented no issues. I will follow a strict break-in procedure and re-torque the head, etc. I have some break-in oil and will change that out in due time.

For now, it's time to take a little break before I get started on the 74 kettle I just acquired.

Thanks to all who gave me inspiration, support and sage advice. I don't think I could have done this job without the input from the forum members here.

Cheers,

Sky

*Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BkD6XC ... e=youtu.be

PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Very very nice, you should be proud of what is a stunning restoration. Well done that man 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
barney01

Post by barney01 »

What a beautiful bike! I reckon its probably in better than new condition. A real credit to you and a worthwile addition to your amazing collection. :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
canaletto5

Re: It's done.

Post by canaletto5 »

Skyguyz wrote:After a few setbacks with piston issues, etc, I finally have the kettle where it is done. It starts, idles and revs fine. The clutch, brakes, suspension all work great. I will do a little fine tuning here and there and correct some small things but it came out a lot better than I expected. Everything on the bike works as it should and so far has presented no issues. I will follow a strict break-in procedure and re-torque the head, etc. I have some break-in oil and will change that out in due time.

For now, it's time to take a little break before I get started on the 74 kettle I just acquired.

Thanks to all who gave me inspiration, support and sage advice. I don't think I could have done this job without the input from the forum members here.

Cheers,

Sky

*Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BkD6XC ... e=youtu.be

Stunning bike. Well done on a great job
wardy

Post by wardy »

PaulD738 wrote:I’ve said it before but it’s worth repeating
JUST STUNNING 8-)
I agree. a job very well done!
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)