GT380j restoration

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
RobMc

Re: GT380j restoration

Post by RobMc »

A few more parts rechromed at agbrigg,very reasonable price and fairly quick return considering they all contracted covid!I might even get on the road by spring.
Attachments
Chromed parts.jpg
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

That kickstart knuckle looks very different to the 550 one. I thought they were similar?
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Alan H wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:14 am That kickstart knuckle looks very different to the 550 one. I thought they were similar?
No it looks right Alan DK selling one here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GT380 ... 890.l49292
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

But that one on ebay has the knuckle at the top. The earlier one has it at the bottom but different to the 550 which has a different shaped quadrant that twists.
November 2015 a.jpg
RobMc

Post by RobMc »

Alan H wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:26 pm But that one on ebay has the knuckle at the top. The earlier one has it at the bottom but different to the 550 which has a different shaped quadrant that twists.
November 2015 a.jpg
My heart sank when I first read this Alan,I have found a few parts from later models on my bike but thanks to you lads on this forum am fairly up to speed with the different parts on earlier models(I`ve replaced with the correct earlier parts).I googled 1972 GT380j this evening and there`s a good example on Bonhams which has the same kick starter as mine.I had been caught out previously when I refurbished the seat,powder coated the base,had it recovered by P&K with the correct diamond pattern(really nice) only to discover the earlier j and k models had a different seat(no lock cut out and single chrome trim).
Just as a matter of interest,it`s worth a look at the GT380j on Bonhams,its sold but I did notice a couple of strange things.The bike is a US model with later frame and engine numbers than my UK model but is registered on a K plate ,mine is on an L plate.Also,I noticed the front torque bar is incorrectly fitted(I know this because I did exactly the same until Barney thankfully pointed it out to me!) :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

A mate of mine had a very early 380 with the drum brake and was the first to get the green Ferodo green shoe upgrade at the factory in Chapel-en-le- Frith near Buxton. In (iirc) early 1972.
This was before Suzuki fitted a single disk in '73.
That kickstart just looks strange to me (memory fade perchance?) Dunno. Looks like I may have a complete memory fade here - http://www.suzukicycles.org/ .