GT250 Fun and Games

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
Damian74

Re: GT250 Fun and Games

Post by Damian74 »

Working on a better dust extraction system for my blast cabinet - now have two cyclones in series fitted up with a cheap ALDI vacuum (on sale for $40 this week) . the primary stage catches 95% of the dust, the 2nd stage just has a slight dust layer - the inlet hose to the vacuum is completely clean!

I turned up some aluminium sleeves - everything just slips together and held in with clamps - no taping or gaskets needed!

Necked down the bearing area on the head-stock spindle so that I can use taper roller bearings rather than the antiquated ball bearings that Suzuki use.

So with the sandblaster back in operation - started on all the small odds and ends - blasted with crushed glass and etch primed.

Damian74

Post by Damian74 »

Did about an hour blasting with the new extraction system - I might call it a success.
First stage catches just about all of it, with the 2nd stage just taking out some of the fines.
There was a slight dusting in the inside of the duct pipe into the vacuum but nothing detectable in the vacuum filter.

Joys of blasting - can see what you are getting into - if anyone has a spare Suzuki GT250 A, B or C air box about, please let me know before I spend countless hours repairing this one.

Damian74

Post by Damian74 »

Picked up my frame and bits form the power coaters - $360 AUD, fairly happy with that, quality work. All the treads and bushings taped.

Like a Kid at Christmas, just had to unwrap it.

NOW WE CAN START THE FUN BIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damian74

Post by Damian74 »

Progress has slowed - time and money, both in short supply!

Forks rebuilt with re-chromed legs and new seals.

I'd wasted many hours on the internet attempting to find out what was correct for the bike regarding the headlight brackets and housing - Chrome vs tank colour vs painted black - gave up in the end and just powdercoated everything at the same time as the frame. When I picked up the bike it was all rusty painted black so I have to assume that is how it was delivered back in the 70's.
After many more hours on eBay I ended up finding two NOS headlight brackets and affordable prices - for some strange reason there are almost no left hand ones available - I can only assume that the bike falls on that side more often with its dodgy side stand????

Caliper sand blasted and painted with High Temp. rattle-can black. Used a rebuild kit form Cruzinimage. The piston and seals fitted perfectly but couldn't assemble the two half's with the supplied O rings on the bolts. Even after machining a gentle lead on the bushings the O rings wouldn't sit in place and ended up cutting them. Replaced the O rings with some I had in a grab kit - Viton 10mm x 1.5mm - worked perfectly!

Damian74

Post by Damian74 »

Find of the year - NOS exhaust pipes..........yes that is 45 year old New Old Stock pipes!!!!

Was a fair price at $800 delivered, not cheap....but then they aren't exactly falling from trees.

Damian74

Post by Damian74 »

Got the remainder of the engine bolts zinc plated so time to put it back together before I forget how it all goes - as it is I'm heavily consulting the parts manual, followed by some frantic searching of all the zip lock bags stashed under the bench.

Still a long way to go but nice to see the engine in its intended home.
Damian74

Post by Damian74 »

Never have I seen a set of carbies this dirty - one of them appeared to have spent some time under water. The float bowl was full of oxidation. Every port was completely blocked - I needed to run a drill bit (by hand) down all the galleries.

Started with a hot wash to remove the gunge on the outside - camp cooker, small pot of water and a dishwasher tablet. worked a treat! Was checking on them every few minutes, but in total each one was in there for about half an hour.

Then a weak-ish solution of Phosphoric Acid - again checking every few min so that I didn't dissolve the base metal.

The entire process took all arvo - I need to find someone with an ultrasonic cleaner to try and get the remaining rubbish from the galleries.

After talking to the bloke at MikuniOz - he has NEW VM28's for about $150. With the new needles that I have bought from Suzuki, he thinks that he can supply a BRAND NEW set with jetting fairly close to OEM. If this was the Cafe Racer it would be an easy decision, but as I am doing a restro I am tossing up which way to go - NEW will obviously be easier to ride and live with (will more than likely ditch the points too) but the Rivet Counters won't like it as they look slightly different.

https://www.mikunioz.com/product-catego ... c98ba2045f
Damian74

Post by Damian74 »

Stripping all the good bits form the recently deceased GT250 L - started with the tyres - all going to a good home.

Picked up a 69 T250 tank - just about fits straight on to the GT frame - love the shape with the knee depressions - I think that it will be perfect for the Cafe build when I get around to it!
Damian74

Post by Damian74 »

So close......yet, so far away...

Chrome won't be till February at best - and lots of other bits in January (am away for work most of that month).

There might be a go slow on for a bit.....

Damian74

Post by Damian74 »

My little sand blaster is average at best - thought that I should start with condensate management first.

My air compressor is nicely tucked away in a relatively sound proof room, in a corner under a bench - hence I almost never drain the tank - solution......fit an auto drain valve......about $30 from eBay....

Works well - a considerable amount of water draining from it in Brisbane's sweaty +30 deg heat. There are two user adjustments, length of blow-down and time between blow-down. Set mine for 5 sec every 10 min.

My blaster is the typical syphon tube style gun usually found in Chinese cabinets. It's frustrating with the stop start nature of the blasting media.

After many hours of Goggle research the best option was to fit a metering valve (it introduces air into blasting media through a controlled orifice or valve). I ended up making a DIY version from 1 1/4" galvanized fittings but I don't think that I really saved much compared to buying the eBay versions for about $100.

Thought I would have another go at the walnut shells - still no luck - I think that they need a higher pressure and flow than my compressor can support.

As the system now uses a foot valve rather than the hand trigger, it's more comfortable - no more numb hand but as the gun and hose set up is larger, my little cabinet gets cramped.....if only my shed was bigger......never enough space!!!!!!

So I loaded up with FINE glass beads time to attacked my carbies!