1974 GT750 Rebuild

Here you can write about your restoration highs and lows and hopefully final success
malky

Re: 1974 GT750 Rebuild

Post by malky »

itsnotateapot wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:25 pm
Eastham wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:46 am
slosher wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:23 am Hi Burgs yes Kev is correct with the decal and they did have the clear reservoir as shown another unique part of the the "L" is the flats on the bend of the radiator crash bars :ugeek: :lol: :lol:
Can you be in love 😍 with a motorbike :D
Here is an other one to drool over.
Nice to see it back in one piece Rich
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi
Old age is good init, ordered new swing arm bushes because the old ones are shot, 4 on their way, only need two, checked in old Suzuki box and found I already had two new ones :shock: .
Bit like the T100R I am building, found I had ordered two kick starts :shock: :shock:.

Burgs
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

burgs wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:14 am Hi
Old age is good init,
Better than the alternative, anyway. NOT getting older. :shock:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
burgs

Post by burgs »

OK that makes sense, :D I can still run rings around some of the young 55 and 60 year old's at work, only thing is they are a lot stronger than me, but they are not as smart as I get them to do the heavy lifting and I sit back and watch, 8-)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Ah yes, the old 'I just can't lift this' ploy.
Never fails as they then think they're smarter, better, faster, stronger.
What they don't understand is that we're craftier, smarter, know the backstreet shortcuts, and not as daft.
They usually catch on when they get to about 50(ish!) - Well, some do.....:lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi
Tackled the crankcase this afternoon, man another challenge, bolts all done up by a gorilla (human sort), could not have known what a torque wrench was.
Crankcase bolts covered with anti seize, ok and also Teflon tape, some loose some overtight, one missing.
Clutch plates rusted, inner most fiber plate in several bits, will fit new plates.
Clutch hub bush black, looks like water staining issue, springs in clutch hub, some of them have play need to sort that one out.
Couldn't remove the coolant tube from the rear of the case, due to what appears to be over tightened, good open ended spanners would not do the job, will have to get an extended 17mm socket in the morning, so starter hasn't been removed yet.
Alternator armature still to remove engine frame bolt thread not long enough, I will machine a little spacer up in the morning and try again.
Burgs
teazer

Post by teazer »

That all sounds "normal" compared to some of the horrors I have seen.

Time to upgrade the clutch to metal/cork plates in place of all fiber and a needle roller in place of the plain bush in the clutch hub.

As for getting old.... It has its moments.
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi
Yes time to upgrade, but cannot find the inner race/spacer for the needle roller bearing, anyone know the size of the A/B needle roller bearing 56Od x ?Id x somewhere around 28mm long?
I could simply get a needle roller bearing with an inner race and machine the current spacer to fit the inner race, I might be better off checking out what bearings are available to see if possible.
Clutch plates appear to be fairly available, any ones better than others?
Hopefully today there will be no interruptions so I can finish stripping the case and see what else I find.
Ok bought a complete clutch assembly with needle roller bearing, with hope that most of the parts are serviceable, bit of a gamble.
Burgs
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi
Ok finished my wet blaster to where I can at least use it, cleaned up some of the parts that I thought were to far gone and they came up brilliant.
Today spent about 8 hours cleaning the crankcase, what a job the gorilla had fun with the gasket maker, bearings fitted with it lots of over run inside and outside of both cases, I haven't clue as to how he could get so much everywhere, it would have been hard for the coolant to do it's job because the passage ways where covered in it.
The coolant pump must have been leaking as the tell tale was full of sealant.
Found two broken M6 bolts, can't remember them being missing, they are the two between the the two gear box shafts, they are the first job tomorrow.
The cylinder/head studs are corroded and need replacing so will have to chase them up ASAP, otherwise all looking good :shock: .
The coolant pump must have been leaking as the tell tail hole was full of you guessed it sealant, hence all the internal rust.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=27501
download/file.php?mode=view&id=27500
download/file.php?mode=view&id=27499
download/file.php?mode=view&id=27502
Attachments
Broken Bolts.jpg
Gearbox Bearing.jpg
Gasket Cement.jpg
Coolant Pump Telltail.jpg
burgs

Post by burgs »

Hi
Rebuilt the water pump and fitted today, decided the cylinder studs are to far gone and ordered some stainless steel to make up new studs, looked at the SS studs from UK, but two things stopped me, number one bad experience with other SS bolts from the same supplier (threads way to tight for SS, ended up galling and locking), number 2 was the delivery time.
Hopefully the material will arrive mid week, so simple program, set up and away I go.
Had a lot of fun putting the pawls back into the gear change system, lost one of the little follower pins when it went flying, took a while to find it, tipped the crankcase up and it fell out of somewhere, so ended good. :D
Now need to pick up some heat resistant paint and paint the head and top half of the crankcase, last engine I did I baked it in the kitchen oven, I had a lot of trouble removing the smell before the wife came home, this time I have a gas oven in the workshop so all should be good :D
Got to chase up the cylinders to see how they are going.
Burgs