WTB Known good Stator with brushes for 1975 GT750M

1skadaddy

WTB Known good Stator with brushes for 1975 GT750M

Post by 1skadaddy »

Looking to get my bike going again with a nice used stator.
I'm in Oakland, CA and would prefer someone close to make shipping faster and cheaper.
Thanks,
Eric
Roger Ackery

Re: WTB Known good Stator with brushes for 1975 GT750M

Post by Roger Ackery »

Always nice to introduce yourself before asking for help on here :tw :idea:
Where have you been for the last 7 Years :!: :!: :!:
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
1skadaddy

Post by 1skadaddy »

Happily riding. This is my second waterbuffalo and still loving the smoke.
Eric
teazer

Post by teazer »

Are your stator coils damaged or do you just need brushes?

I probably have one here in Chicago which is only slightly faster to mail than from the UK after the latest cost cutting measures at the USPS........
1skadaddy

Post by 1skadaddy »

Thank you, and yes. I have two stators they have faulted to ground. I’d like to get a stator with the brushes to just plug and play if possible. I’ve heard I can get it rewound, but would like to avoid the time it takes.
What do you want with shipping to 94608?
Thanks,
Eric
teazer

Post by teazer »

I will dig through my pile and inspect them and get back to you soon.

edit: I have enough stators with good wires and electrically sound, but they need new brushes. When I was searching for brushes on line, I came across this part https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GT750-W ... Sw-YReg2N1

At the price he is asking, I am tempted to buy it and then sell it again at a huge profit, but that's not how I roll. I suggest you buy that one which is a lot less than I would have asked. By the time I fit new brushes, clean it up and replace the connector and wiring sleeve, it would owe me cash at anywhere close to that price.

BTW, they are all the same part from 72-76 (31400-31010). 77 has a different part number (31400-31011) but I can't see what the difference is. Mine has larger cooling holes in the aluminum casting but I see others on ebay with that same casting showing the -31010 number. Maybe Denso had 2 casting companies. On the stator itself, it looks like they changed the brush holder. Unfortunately the brush holder is missing on my B stator, so I can't say what the difference was.

Good luck with that ebay seller. Hope that works for you.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Don't buy new genuine brushes, look at the link here - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9414&hilit=Alternator+brushes.

Also testing info here - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12685&p=100415&hil ... or#p100415 - lots of 'stuff' if you do a search (top left of the screen, 'quick links'.)
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
teazer

Post by teazer »

Thanks Alan.

Unfortunately that link is dead, but I did find two sets of OEM brushes at reasonable prices and a set of off brand that I will see if I can make them work.

I can confirm that there are two designs of the aluminum casting used on -31010 designs, but I cannot locate a B brush holder to see what the difference is, so I'll just use a spare early brush holder to repair that stator assembly.
1skadaddy

Post by 1skadaddy »

Thanks again. I ordered that one and hope it checks out fine. Now for the shipping wait.
Eric
teazer

Post by teazer »

No worries Eric. It also gave me a chance to see what I had stuffed into that storage container. Now I'll clean them al, test them again and replace the outer sleeve and socket and if necessary the brushes to sell. They won;t make a lot of money but they should be good.

So we got Eric an alternator stator, but as I clean up this pile of GT750 parts I inherited, the mystery deepens.

Stators are simple enough but when I checked the rotors, I had a range of different results which are not totally in accord with the service manual. All were sound, with no open circuits and no dead shorts to ground but the six I tested for resistance tested at:

5 ohms
8 ohms
5 ohms
10 ohms
5 ohms
14 ohms.

I cleaned all the slip rings very quickly to get some sort of repeatability, but I was surprised to see that the 5 ohm rotors all had a lot less windings than the double digit rotors. The core winding was visibly smaller - hard as it is to see it. That could be a different vendor or wound in different years or different gauge wire from a vendor or thicker/thinner insulation.

I have no intention of pressing them apart to work out what the differences are. BTW, I should have mentioned they are all Denso and all look superficially at least to be identical.

Do we have a sparky in the house or anyone that has tested enough to explain the range of differences? Alan H?