Scam warning!!

madforitkev

Scam warning!!

Post by madforitkev »

Guys,

I was recently digging around looking for a Honda CX turbo (don't ask....long story) and I came across a seller by the name of Warren Ellison (we98182@gmail.com) who had one of those too good to be true deals.

Long story short, he had a story about recently moving to Spain, a brother dying, wanting to move the bike on etc. etc.

As the bike is in the very North of Scotland, he suggested he arrange delivery and insurance and I also got the email below;

I've attached some photos to my next email and you can also find a brief description.

It is in very good condition, both technically and optically.

The vehicle is located in Helmsdale, Scotland.
Unfortunately, I have relocated to Spain and Helmsdale is too far away to arrange a viewing for each offer I get.

I suggest going through OFX.com secure online service which gives you 7 days inspection period on all items for high amount payments before OFX.com pays the seller (similar to escrow service and more secure than PayPal). OFX.com has great reviews on Trustpilot. The new Amazon Payment Services Provider Program for stores and also in partnership with eBay.

The total price is £3500 including delivery fees and insurance. The estimated time of arrival (ETA) is 4 to 6 working days.

I will set up a purchase agreement with OFX.com and offer a full 7 days inspection period through their money-back guarantee purchase protection program. This purchase protection guarantees that the vehicle is exactly as described; basically, once delivered, you'll have 7 days to inspect it and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded instantly by OFX and they will charge me with the return delivery costs. I don't think this will be the case as the vehicle is very clean and tidy as you can see in the photos.

I will get paid only after you confirm that the vehicle is as described. Let me know if you want to go ahead as I still have quite a few other offers from potential buyers.
If you do want to go ahead please email me your full name and address along with your daily contact number to get this purchase registered with eBay and OFX's secure payment service.

I can send you a copy of the V5c for proof of ownership along with a selfie photo holding my driving license.

Cheers,

Warren

So the usual red flags started waving and after some Googling this is a classic Escrow scam.
A HPI check will turn up a good bike with no issues. However an extended document check (which most people don't do, will raise issues). The AA offer this service. The V5 reference number is the key.
OFX are legit, but bottom line is, yes your money is sent securely and yes you do get 7 days to return it/get money back BUT, the small print says ' if you haven't had sight of the purchase' - no refund. Apparently most escrow companies have this clause.
So as the bike is never delivered you never get your money back.
Nasty loop hole.

BTW, anyone got a CX650 turbo knocking about? :D
Honest baby....this is probably the cheapest bike I have ever bought!!
Alan H

Re: Scam warning!!

Post by Alan H »

I wouldn't even think of buying a bike completely unseen from an inaccessible place with the owner in another country.
At least I'd seen big John in Cork's hippo before he sent it over by courier......... :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated