GT250 380 500 & 550 gauge restoration service.

Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Re: GT250 380 500 & 550 gauge restoration service.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Working on the case for that warning lamp unit I recently restored, heres how its coming along when I have some time to devote to it. This is a complete set of gauges I bought from ebay I plan to sell once they are restored.

The 550 gauge case as it was fresh from ebay but now emptied of all its parts.

The top view, even though you cant see them all clearly at this angle, it has some cuts and gouged sections mostly in the top front section of the case.

The case now cleaned with the gouges and cuts in the case repaired and those sections have been re-textured.

Another angled view of the restored case. This set was missing the lower front textured plastic cover of which I located one from ebay so now its a complete case. The two lenses were removed, polished and reinstalled, now to redo the warning lamp lettering and it should look as good as new.
Two strokes, its just that simple.
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Heres how the case looks, now that the lettering has been completed.

yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Allan, good enough to eat :-)
Lovely work, thanks for the pics, Mike
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

You're most welcome Mike, I can always rely or you, Mark or Ian to leave a comment, and as always its much appreciated. I should have the gauges finished in the near future to refit them back into this case.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

I rested the restored gauges back into the case and need to work on the main bracket to finish this up.

astrax

Post by astrax »

That looks really nice Allan
I do not think you could get a better looking set, even if you had a time machine and went back to the 70's.

Ian
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

+1 on that - these look absolutely superb Allan!
Mike
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Thanks for the comments Ian and Mike, they do look half decent now the parts are being added to the case. Its probably the next best thing in overall appearance compared to an actual NOS set. At least with the glass retrofit the new lenses wont discolour anymore.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Another set of GT 550 gauge cases and maincase I recently restored. This customer also wanted a new gear display retrofitted. The cases are empty as he was doing his own internal retoration work to the gauge mechanisms.

The restored parts of the maincase,I also retrofitted new surround rubbers to the inner case edge by the lens.The warning lamp console was also restored as were the two white inner cases have been restored and glass retrofitted. The new digital display has been retrofitted into the old metal frame, the components are sealed against moisture and using oem wires.

All ready to be packaged up and sent out to the customer.
Waterbuffalo

Post by Waterbuffalo »

I am also now restoring the later 'can type' gauge units found on the GT500 and some later model 380 and 550s
See the photo of how some I did turned out once they were completed. On this set they were in pretty bad shape from years of neglect. The faces were renewed and new redline segments were put in the tach face, the needles were repainted white, then the ends were re-tipped.The inner mechanisms were cleaned up and restored, the needle dampers were refilled, the white odo and trip reels were renewed and then the mechanisms were calibrated.The trip knob boot was replaced and to increase inner illumination the inner cups were sprayed white.
Considering how these looked initially, they have come a long way.