Recommendation please

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
M1kee

Recommendation please

Post by M1kee »

Can anyone recommend someone in the Cambridgeshire area who would be able to set my carbs/ idle properly? I’ve been to a couple of bike garages but neither were geared up for carb tuning.

Thanks Mike
Suzuki GT750M 1975
BMW 2002, 1976
Alan H

Re: Recommendation please

Post by Alan H »

Baz is in Dudley.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
M1kee

Post by M1kee »

Thanks Alan but that’s a 250 mile round trip from Cambridgeshire? 😂😂😂
Suzuki GT750M 1975
BMW 2002, 1976
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Lots of owners send Baz their carb's in the post, might be worth considering :P
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Baz has done several sets of carbs for me (and others) and although they might need the tickover setting after fitting ( :roll: ) , the bikes started and ran well after they were fitted. Like Steve said - post/couriers will take 'em for you. (And fetch 'em back, no doubt. :lol: )
Anyway, the M6 is lovely and you might get a biscuit as well as a brew at Baz's (reasonable prices too!!! ;) )
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Gary66

Post by Gary66 »

I am by no means an expert here in any way but this is something that can be done by pretty much anyone with time and patience and some maintenance skills. Once the carbs are off, which is in itself probably the biggest part of the job (and you have to remove them to send them away!) it's simply a case of following the manual I would have said.
Yes it's not mega easy but it's do-able at home on a bench.
My 380 i did myself with great success and 7 years on it still runs well.
From memory it was a simple case of making sure all 3 slides raised and lowered at the same time and in the same positions, the air screw was set as per manual and the tick over adjusted once the bike was up and running.
If you have the skills to remove the carbs and I hope this is the case as I don't want to come across as a smart 4rse then i reckon you can sort the carbs yourself.
Good luck getting it sorted and trust me, if I can do it then...........well.😉
M1kee

Post by M1kee »

Hi and thanks for the advice. Not sure sending the carbs to Baz will help as they are fully restored carbs from, Baz, and very gorgeous they are too. When I bought the bike about 5 years ago it had recently had the full restoration, crank seals etc. It always suffered from surging which I decided would be cured with set of fully restored carbs from Baz. The bike ran much better but still surged. I cured the surging by replacing all the rubber connectors, airbox seals and an Accent electronic ignition. The only bugbear is that the idle needs to be at about 1400 to run smoothly and after the bike reaches full operating temperature it will quite often cut out completely for no apparent reason . It starts no problem and rides and accelerates strongly. No excess smoke or nasty noises. So there is something somewhere that needs looking at or adjustment. Changed spark plugs and plug caps etc didn’t make any difference. I would appreciate it If anyone has any suggestions?
E7C37F03-DEFE-4B9B-A9E8-C720D6C1536C.jpeg
Suzuki GT750M 1975
BMW 2002, 1976