Bargain of the century

You can chat about anything you like here
PaulD738

Bargain of the century

Post by PaulD738 »

I’ve never been able to rebuild crankshafts as I don’t have a press. I’ve been doing a bit of agency work driving locally to avoid going to prison for murdering her indoors :shock:
Anyhows while waiting for the days lorry I was mooching about the depot as you do when I noticed the scrap metal pile where all the old brake discs etc are dumped waiting for the scrap man to collect. Lo and behold there was a 30t hydraulic press just sitting there with my name on it :D
A word with the boss and for the princely sum of ten English pounds it was mine. Result 8-)
Attachments
679E1BA8-0F27-4330-8654-CB65D99CA205.jpeg
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
stevewharton

Re: Bargain of the century

Post by stevewharton »

Definitely a bargain at 10 quid Paul, as long as it works as it should, because a piece of machinery like that isn't usually thrown away unless it's knackered, you might be lucky though and find it's okay.
For me though looking at that press fills me with dread :shock: not just because I worked with stuff like that for over 45 years (glad to see the back of it) but in 1987 when I bought FAB, the crankshaft seals needed sorting and I thought "I've got access to all the equipment, why don't I do it myself :roll: " easier said than done I soon found out :?
For a start you have to make split clamps to fit between each part of the crank before you can press it apart, then when you start jacking the pressure up, be prepared for an almighty bang when it finally moves and don't forget the crank splits into seven parts (on a kettle) which all need to be pressed apart and then back into exactly the right place, (no splines to help alignment) put you off yet??? Leave it to the experts mate, that's my advice for what it's worth.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Thanks for the advice Steve, the reason the press was being scrapped is the company which is a huge national concern have just re-equipped the workshop with brand new Snap On gear :shock: the press has still got three months calibration test on it so it works fine. Like you I served my time as a toolmaker in the days before cnc and we used to make self eject sheet metal press tools for 200t brake presses among other things (now they where scary monsters :lol:
I’ve rebuilt two and four stroke crankshafts for race bikes before using a mates machine shop so I’m fairly familiar with the process. Yes they do go with a bang don’t they lol
I worked for a company rebuilding powder milling machinery a while back and some of the bearings we had to press on and off where 250mm od with bores of 100mm
Big rascals :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!

PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Oh yes I forgot, as my lathe isn’t big enough to take a bike crankshaft my next project is to build a between centres jig to enable me to clock and balance the cranks accurately on re-assembly, Ain’t retirement great 8-)
Last edited by PaulD738 on Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

And you have the temerity to call me tight, Mr. Squeeky!!!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:11 am And you have the temerity to call me tight, Mr. Squeeky!!!
I’m not tight I’m “thrifty” :tw

stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Just a thought Paul and it is a long time since I pulled my kettle crankshaft apart (plus two others for mates who appealed to my generosity :roll: ) but if my memory serves me well, the press I used was a 100 tonner and went way past 30 ton before the crank came apart, with bangs that made me think I'd broke something and nearly made me crap myself, definitely a spare pair of underpants job :o
Good luck ;)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".