GT750 electronic ignition

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Write2Paul90277

GT750 electronic ignition

Post by Write2Paul90277 »

Which electronic ignition do you think is best for the GT750? Dynatek? Tytronic? Boyer Brandson? Other??

By "best" I mean the most reliable and easiest to install & setup.
BAZ

Re: GT750 electronic ignition

Post by BAZ »

they are all pointless...
teazer

Post by teazer »

He's right you know...

Accent is simplest to fit and reliable.

Dyna makes fattest sparks but a PIA to make one and they suck electrons out of the battery.

Best in terms of functionality are Zeeltronic, HPI and Ignitech but that's more than 99% of us need.

Tytronics don't have a great reputation and I believe are made by the people that made ignitions for Charlie's Place, but don't quote me on that.

I'm not a fan of Boyer Bransden or Newtronics (Prihana) but others have had good experience with them and like them.

Points? OK if you like that sort of masochism, but for the rest of us, they are a bit of a PIA. To be fair though, the GT range are fairly timing tolerant, so points are probably as good as anything for a Sunday ride.
Write2Paul90277

Thanks for the feedback, teazer.

Some of those do seem like more than most of os would ever need (at prices that many of us may never have have!).

Being the cheap b@@@@@d that I am, the Dyna appeals to me price-wise, but makes it a PIA to install? I don't mind a challenging install if it's a once-and-done proposition.

Also, is the Dyna's tendency to "suck electrons" a real problem? (dead batteries? fried wiring?).

Curiously,

Paul
asco58

Post by asco58 »

The Accent ignitions also don't have an additional box to hide somewhere if that's important. It's the size of the points plate.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

All my triples run points just fine.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
wardy

Post by wardy »

Ive owned my kettle now for 17 years and up until 2019 it had run on points, but then I took the plunge to fit electronic and chose ACCENT, having read numerous reviews. I had to go direct to the maker, but found that easy to do and the system is very easy to fit and time up. It also allows for returning to the points in the future should you wish to do so as no wiring requires cutting or modifying at all.
With the accent fitted, I can honestly say that my bike has never run so good!.. it starts very easily and will now tick over reliably.
To all those doubters out there who say if you break down with points , at least you may be able to get home, all I can say is this; How many times have you broken down in your car; as not many of those are fitted with points nowadays!
I would say go the Accent route with out a doubt. Cheers, Andy
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)
Write2Paul90277

Please excuse the typos above. It should say "...what makes [the Dyna] a PIA to install?"

Thx
teazer

Post by teazer »

I should have explained that a little better. DYNA used to offer their products for a few 2 strokes but they occasionally had issues with bikes running backwards, so they stopped selling them. I had exactly that issue with mine once at the drag strip. My bike starts so easily even with high compression and porting and I was being lazy and barely stepped on the kickstarter and it fired up as usual, I went to pull into the lights and it pulled backwards. Took me a moment to realize what had happened, so I had to hit the kill switch, put it back in neutral fire it up again with a little more resolve and off we went into the night.

Here's what I did to make a DYNA system. http://pinkpossum.com/GT750/Dyna%20S.htm

And yes I use a small battery on that bike and the Dyna seems to use slightly more power than say an Accent. I haven't actually checked the power draw, but it sure packs a punch. Huge fat sparks. For a race motor, DYNA is great, for plug and play on a street bike, Accent every time.

As you can tell from the comments so far, not everyone agrees and that's fine. They are wrong.... :shock: :? :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Electronic ignition is the work of the devil and should be excorcised - just like reed valves, fuel injection and kickstarts. :evil:
Unfortunately, modern petrol with E in it is crap, so use 'super' with less of the veggie stuff for road use.
And points. ;)
Proof that four strokes are over complicated