Is summat hiding in among the triples?

The KettleClinic forum, it is free to become a member and free to use, we have additional information available to all members.
If you have not joined yet, do it now.

Please note the email for the signup should arrive within 15 minutes, if not, please check any spam or junk folders, if still not arrived please contact the forum
Alan H

Re: Is summat hiding in among the triples?

Post by Alan H »

stevewharton wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:38 pm P.P.S. All "Steves" are really nice guys 8-)
OK Fred. :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Since buying the GS, it's always been slightly incontinent in that it wee's a few spots of oil after a run. Anyway, eventually had the exhausts off and saw that there was (wasn't?) a missing bolt in the sump plate and a slight weep from the drain plug. Well last week I got a new oil filter and sump gasket and had all the leaky bits off. Retapped the 'missing bolt' hole and with a smear of Hylomar on the new gasket faces it all now looks good. Drain plug sealed with a new washer and a twist of ptfe string on the threads. Went out for a short run (5 miles) and all seems well.
Now I've got to sort out the incontinent Hippo....... :roll:
Last edited by Alan H on Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Had another run on the GS and after the oil change etc. now runs much smoother and no puff of smoke on initial startup. Had a run out and pulls 8k through the lower gears, and 7.5k in top, but of course that could be a misprint officer!
All seems happy, but I wish I'd fitted a Dowty seal on the drain plug. I'm not convinced about that being totally happy, but otherwise running well.
Nowt straightforward is there?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Since I got the bike, it has had a slight incontinent leak from the sump drain plug. I 'sorted' it once with a new gasket and new sump to crankcase studs, but recently a 'weep' appeared on the plug again. There seems to be plenty of oil sumps in the US but very few here in the UK, so when the incontinence returned slightly and despite 'seeming' ok, the occasional drip kept appearing on the drain plug, so I had a word with Mr. Canelloni who sold it to me and he had a spare with good threads on the dp hole and a proper dp as well.
Managed to get it last week and fitted it Friday. 5 minute job*.
Just remove the exhaust, remove sump plate and clean engine/plate face, change oil filter, clean oil up off the garage floor where it missed the biscuit tin 'catcher', blast the 'new' sump plate clean and wash the aluminium oxide dust off it VERY carefully, use a smear of hylomar on the gasket and fit the plate. Nip up very carefully.
Fit sump plug with a single layer of polytetrafluoroethylene tape ;) just in case. Refit the exhaust after cleaning all the hidden bits and fill engine with 3400ml of 15w/40 mineral oil because that's what I had. Clean oil drips up again.
Start up and after it settled down to a nice (warm engine) tickover, go for a ride.
5 miles later, home and leak free. Win, thank the bejasus.

*it may have been slightly over 5 mins and there may have been profanity. Lots of profanity.......
Anybody wanna buy a leak free GS750? PM for details.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

It's not as if you have anything else to do.... :roll:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Oh thanks for that - & the coffee. At least you had some this time....... :roll:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, incontinence sorted, new gel battery fitted and running very well, so......

Ebay item 144536135971 with lots of pretty pics.
Or PM for further details.
widget

Post by widget »

Nice bike. Had one back in the day. loved it. SHC93S
malky

Post by malky »

Love the last paragraph of the ad :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

After 'issues' I have the bike back.
Bits to be sorted, then sell to someone who understands that a 45 year old bike isn't new, and also maybe tells his wife that he's buying another bike 'perhaps'...... :roll:
K'inell, fkall straightforward nowadays is there? :?