Kick-start oil seal

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
slosher

Kick-start oil seal

Post by slosher »

I've got a gearbox oil leak from this seal 09242-23001 it's the seal at the end of the kickstarter shaft.
Can this be replaced without out fetching the motor out and splitting the cases :? GT550

Thanks for any input
Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
zapo

Re: Kick-start oil seal

Post by zapo »

Oil leak....Stop parking it near to your bonnie :lol:
I had two stroke's and survived.
slosher

Post by slosher »

zapo wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:53 pm Oil leak....Stop parking it near to your bonnie :lol:

Nah Andy the Bonnie has never got any oil in it :lol:
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
slosher

Post by slosher »

Nobody had to replace this :o oh well just me then :lol:
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
asco58

Post by asco58 »

As the seal is designed to be removed or inserted before bolting the casings together, removing the engine is probably the best way.
There's a risk of damaging the new seal upon insertion and maybe the sealing surfaces of the casing depending on how the old one is extracted and with the crankcases bolted together, It might be hard to get the old seal out as well. Might be worth checking the other oil seals at the same time. I think that as inconvenient as it is, this is probably an engine out job unless anyone else has a different method.
malky

Post by malky »

Quite simple to do in situ,getting the old seal out is the hardest bit I used one of those hooked pick jobbies to dig it out then put some masking tape over the spline on the shaft and carefully put the new seal over it using grease - slide it down and use a deep socket or well fitting piece of tubing and tap it in to the crankcase making sure it goes in equally all round - job done
slosher

Post by slosher »

Hi Malky
Not quite sure of what seal you mean the one that's failed on my 550 shows it only being fitted with the cases split as asco58 describes it :? it's a solid round rubber bung approx 10mm thick just above the sprocket left side of the motor.
All other seals on that side appear to be ok,i'm thinking seal in the fridge overnight and warm the cases up with a heat gun until i get the old one out to the fit is really unknown.

Thanks Dave
I
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
malky

Post by malky »

slosher wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:38 pm Hi Malky
Not quite sure of what seal you mean the one that's failed on my 550 shows it only being fitted with the cases split as asco58 describes it :? it's a solid round rubber bung approx 10mm thick just above the sprocket left side of the motor.
All other seals on that side appear to be ok,i'm thinking seal in the fridge overnight and warm the cases up with a heat gun until i get the old one out to the fit is really unknown.

Thanks Dave
I
[/quot
Ah sorry Dave I thought it was a 750 - the 550 is the only one I've never done any work on